Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Because this is the way I was taught to .. " >

"Because this is the way I was taught to .. "

"Because this is the way I was taught to .. "

Old 03-25-2017, 10:15 AM

I like to deliberately try things in ways other than what I was taught. That's true for me in my personal life AND in my work life. Probably especially in my work life - I'm a programmer and programming languages evolve even faster than spoken languages do. Something I was taught absolutely to never do 5 years ago is now the best way to do something. So I don't ever feel reluctant to try new things. I discover all sorts of neat things when I step off of the beaten path.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:25 AM
Power Poster

I guess I had enough sewing experience when I started quilting that I was comfortable doing things my way. I always at least tried whatever method the instructor suggested, but if it wasn't easier that way, or there wasn't a specific reason, I just did whatever made sense to me.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:37 AM
Power Poster

Always make a sample block. After a while my experience dictates whether that is necessary or not.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:55 AM
Power Poster

If I am taking a class, i do try to do it the instructor's way ( at least once or twice) and If I have alternative methods, i keep that to myself during the class.

Doing something in a familiar way probably is easier and faster than the first few times in an unfamiliar way.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:38 PM

I am willing to learn/try new ways of doing things. I keep what works for me and file the rest away. I admit I don't play well with the "you must do it this way" crowd.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:39 PM

If I only did things the way I was taught, I would be stuck in a time warp! Times change and I like to move with the times
Old 03-25-2017, 04:28 PM

Every teacher has the "best way" to do something. I will try their way and decide which I like best.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by popover View Post
If you aren't still learning and improving.....you must be dead.
TOTALLY agree with this in all parts of life! And fortunately, I belong to a guild that has 150+ members, and 150+ ways to do something! In the beginners class given annually, we actually make a point of letting newbies know that this is just ONE of many ways to do a task and we encourage the to find the way that works best for them--good example is applique.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:19 PM

Because that's the way I was taught reminds me of a story I heard. This newly married woman goes to fix a pot roast. She cuts the end off the roast before putting it in the pan. Her husband asked her why she did that and she says "Because that's the way my mother always did it". Being curious about this, he asks his MIL why she cuts the ends off of the roast before she cooks it. She says "Because that's the way my mother always did it". Now he's even more curious so he asks his wife's grandmother why she always cuts the ends off of her roasts before she cooks them and she says "Because the roast was too big for the pan".

Just goes to show that "because that's the way we always did it" isn't always a valid reason. I question more now than I used to and look for alternate methods of doing things.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 03-25-2017 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:34 AM

I am continually learning new techniques and that is part of the reason I love quilting so much. I can't tell you how often I have though but to myself "why didn't I think of that?".