Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Because this is the way I was taught to .. " >

"Because this is the way I was taught to .. "

"Because this is the way I was taught to .. "

Old 03-26-2017, 09:27 PM

I am also a self-taught sewer, starting with garment sewing and the ONE THING I will never forget what the highh school Home Ec teacher taught us was "sew, press, sew, press" because it makes so much sense in quilt making. I have learned much just by experience and love to share and receive any hints to make our sewing turn out with great results. The ONE THING I DON'T follow from the celebrity teachers is subcutting squares from sewn strips and etc. I continue to backstitch the begnning and ending of every seam because I don't believe that the seam is 'secure' if another seam crosses over it; (past experience while making a rail fence quilt). It may take me longer doing it my way, but I feel better about those seams not coming apart after several washings or kids playing tug-o-war with one.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:24 AM

Jane thanks so much for telling me about Sharon Schumer's binding with glue! I really struggle with bindings and her u tube really helped me a lot.

Last edited by red-warrior; 03-27-2017 at 05:25 AM. Reason: line dropped
Old 03-27-2017, 05:25 AM

I took a quilting class for 6 weeks from a very good teacher and I feel I learned well. I've never changed anything she taught me. She was very firm about that 'scant 1/4 inch seam' and I still struggle with it but I think she was right.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:41 AM

I have been sewing for almost 60 years and quilting for about 40. I learn new things almost every day (a lot of them from this board). I feel you need to be open to new ideas and try new ways of doing things. Maybe you will go back to your 'old' way or maybe you will find the new way much easier and better. The point is to try new ways, it keeps you fresh and makes your brain work better. Actually, not a bad philosophy for life itself!
Old 03-27-2017, 08:45 AM

I often change the way I was taught for something that works better for me. I tell my husband all of the time that just because it is a great way for him does not mean it is great to do it that way for everyone.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:42 AM

The first quilting class I took was a block of the month. We chose the fabrics in the shop before the class began. Of course, most of us chose the standard pastel blue, green and pink an muslin background (this was in the 80s). The quilt blocks were "safe" but kind of boring. Quilt still not finished but I did start including more color and more contrast. I also took a class from a well known teacher who kep telling me that the beautiful African print I wanted to use as my focus fabric would never work with the other colors I selected. I persevered because I wanted to learn technique and was sure that my fabric choices would work. The quilt is one of my favorites, very striking, and I learned that I need to follow my gut. The quilt hung in the office and I had many offers from co-workers and clients to sell it. While flattering, I loved the fabric and also know how much work went into the quilt (hand quilted). It is hanging in my house.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

Back in the day, every pattern was made from cardboard templates and every piece was sewn individually. Now we use rulers and rotary cutters and sewing is done with strip piecing where possible. I relearn all the time.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:42 PM

I have been quilting for over 35 years and I am still learning... I just found out last year that 50 weight thread for piecing was better than regular thread, the smaller the thread the better for your seams to lay flatter and when pining seams the thin glass head pins are best.. who knew, So it is always a learning process.