Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Been quilting long enough to know how....but don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    I know we have discussed the benefits of starch on this board quite abit. But I starch my fabrics , and that really helps the seams to behave . I starch my fabrics to force them to submit to my will. LOL. And torture the fabric a bit more by sticking it with pins and a hot iron. Some fabrics are more stubborn than others , but I can usually claim victory with starch and pins.
    Your posts always make me laugh, Lori!

I am with the people who say "The seams twist and I don't care" - I usually pin my block intersections, and try to have the seams going in opposite directions of course, but they do occasionally twist nonetheless. I just let them be...after giving them the hairy eyeball, of course...

Alison

Yes ,I must admit this happens to me to. I just leave them.

Power Poster
    I always sew with the seams allowances to watch on the top. I iron and starch my rows before stitching them together and I usually place a pin on a 45(across both allowances) if I have a tricky spot. I am careful when I approach the pin and remove it and hold the seam allowance with my stiletto. If I find the occasional twisted seam, I remove a few stitches and fix it.

I do much the same as Tartan, holding the seam with . . . okay, I just use the tip of a pin. Anyway, it the cross seam STILL doesn't lie flat, I finish the long seam, then go back and rip-and-redo that one spot.

Yep, happens to me too. I've never been able to spot an errant seam allowance after the quilt is finished, so I don't usually fix them.

It happens to me quite a bit. I just don't care about it. Like, at all.

I also have a problem with this occasionally. I think whoever said to set the seam first is correct, I think it does work better. My quilting teacher always had us set the seam and I remember that they laid flat and I rarely had it twist. But later when I got really into quilting and was in a hurry, I didn't always set the seam. And that is when my problems started. Glad you mentioned this because now I will go back to setting the seams.

Just part of the process I guess

Blog Entries
    Happens all the time. I just go back and fix it. Dont know what else to do.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

Blog Entries
    And when all else fails, I clip near the unruly seam and within a hair's breath of the seam, leave the unruly seam where it is and press the rest of the seam to where it should be!
    Bernie

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast