Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Beginner quilter... I have some questions... >

Beginner quilter... I have some questions...

Beginner quilter... I have some questions...

Old 02-08-2013, 10:01 AM

Welcome from Texas! It sounds like your first question has been answered. When I started 3 years ago, I was thrilled to have all of my questions answered quickly. I even got on to ask about changing my rotary blade. Had an answer before I had time to worry about what I was "fixin" to do. Oh, be sure to post pictures when you are ready. We all like to admire quilts!!

Dina
Old 02-08-2013, 10:02 AM

Welcome to the board. I hope you have good luck with your quilt. If you do not wash before using I would wash the quilt in cold water and with a color catcher. I am one that always washes all my fabric before using because of a mess I made early in my sewing days, but is really up to the person doing the quilting if you wash first. I hope your love of quilting grows. Be sure to show us your finished quilt.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:58 AM

Welcome to the wonderful world of quilting. As a handquilter I naturally favor that techinique. You will learn a lot by doing it. Quilting is a wonderful hobby. It allows you to enjoy the color and texture of fabric and gives you the satisfaction of working with your hands. It gives you the satisfaction of being able to enjoy buying something that doesn't have to fit and someone else will think is the most beautiful thing they ever say.
A plug for handquilting, it can be portable, allows you to get something done while watching TV or visiting with friends and satisfies that urge to touch and feel the fabric constantly. It will also give you a special place in the fellowship of quilters as you become proficient in that skill. Enjoy your new hobby.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:38 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Seventeen, that's just fabulous!! It is *always* so nice when new young, young members take up the quilting spirit; it continues the industry, enlivens all of us, and brings fresh perspective - all wonderful additions! You will find more mentors here than you ever thought possible, though I'm sure your own shop values and supports you as well. Welcome!

Jan in VA
Old 02-08-2013, 03:45 PM

Welcome from Iowa! You will meet the nicest people on this board. Don't worry about asking questions...someone will have an answer for you. Please post pictures too. Your friends on the board will love to see your quilts.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:55 PM

Well Jan and various others have taken the words out of my mouth. So I'll just say a big warm welcome from Mid-Missouri.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:17 PM

Welcome from western NY state. You will enjoy this site.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:01 PM

Welcome from Minnesota! You will truly enjoy this board! Everyone here shares a passion for quilting, and everyone is always ready and willing to offer help, suggestions and tips. I've been the recipient of many great tips and ideas! Happy quilting!
Old 02-08-2013, 11:38 PM

Welcome to the board! I'm so excited to hear of another young person becoming one of "us"!

I also work in a quilt shop...love it!

I agree with the gals here about not washing precuts. I do prewash my FQs and yardage just to get the sizing and pesticides out of them. After cutting fabric all day at the shop, I notice an icky feeling to my hands...it's the gunk they treat the fabric with!

This is how I wash my quilts to keep them from wearing out:
Fill the washer with cold water and detergent. Add the quilt and squeeze gently until it is all wet. Soak for 30 minutes. DO NOT AGITATE! Spin the water out. Repeat with rinse water.
I have one of those 5-line retractible clotheslines. I drape the quilt, backside up, over all 5 lines so that the weight is evenly distributed and use spring-loaded clothespins to hold it in place. My yard is all shade, so it is not in direct sunlight. You could cover the quilt with a clean sheet with the same results.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:10 AM

Welcome to the addiction of quilting from England, UK.
Wash at the end with colour catchers it is not alwaysossible to wash fabric first, especially if you buy fabric while at a course for use immediately.