Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Beginner Sewing/Quilting Lessons (?) >
  • Beginner Sewing/Quilting Lessons (?)

• Beginner Sewing/Quilting Lessons (?)

Old 08-21-2009, 07:41 PM

I agree.....cell phones are annoying. The ring tones give me a headache, plus they are more interested in talking & texting than learning.

Everyone's ideas are really helping me. It's like brain-storming before writing a term paper. Have to find a starting & ending place(s), then get tools, fabric, measuring tape/rules, etc. together; look for simple patterns that work up quickly & go from there.

I'm going to ask my gdau where she'd start. She had a semester of Home Ec, so she'll have input for me. They made a pair of pajama pants, but I feel that wasn't something she was really into making. Maybe it was too much with the curved seams, but she finally finished them for her grade.
    Old 08-21-2009, 07:48 PM
    Power Poster

how about a pillow case?

one can either go with a plain one or one with the colored bands?

They could learn measuring, cutting, sewing - different types of seams or finished could be incorporated - either French seams or overcasting

doesn't take overly long - depending on where one buys the fabric, it could be made for between $2.50 to $10.00
    Old 08-21-2009, 07:56 PM

Omak,
    You sound like a great teacher. Thanks for your ideas and input. I feel they need to do most of taking seams apart for themselves. It reminds them to go slower if they're not sure they're doing. I encourage them to ask questions rather than plunge into a project, making lots of mistakes.

I understand wanting to make complicated items, but without basics they will get too overwhelmed and give up. That's not what I want to pass on to them.
    It reminds me when I begged my Aunt to let me iron blue jeans with really heave starch when I was about 8 y.o. When she came back, I'd attempted to iron about 6 pairs, but not to her standards. Re-doing them was a humbling experience. She told me, "if something's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time." I've thought about that many times and if I catch myself trying to rush my sewing/ironing, etc., I have to stop myself & think, do it slower & do it right the first time.
    Old 08-21-2009, 08:07 PM

Bear,
    A pillow case would be good. I have some larger pieces of fabric that would make a single size pillow case. I'll make up a sample and have it to show her. French seams would be great. I like to do those when I make pillow cases so they don't ravel. I made my gson a pillow case last Christmas & sewed Hunter Green grosgrain ribbon over the seam between the 4 inch border & the case. I noticed him figuring out how I sewed it on, making two parallel seams to sew it down. I like to see when young folks are curious about how sewn items are constructed. I've told him that he's gonna make some young lady a great husband. We get a good laugh out of that. My gdau doesn't want to get married & definitely no children. She may change her mind though if the right young man comes along. Listen at me going on. Yes, I'm proud of both of them. They're both in Band & get lots of honors.
    Old 08-21-2009, 08:16 PM

star seams to have good idea with how to start out so go that away an make sure she does want to learn. that what my grand mother did to me an then she gave me a pattern for a pair of pants because i wanted to learn to sew my own clothes an i still sew some of my own stuff i can make my summer stuff a whole lot cheaper i look for fabric i like an go for it.even make my own paterns when i find something i like the fit of. the tank tops at wal-mart have to much fabric on the shoulder an i have to take them up so i make them my self.
    Old 08-21-2009, 08:29 PM

Dizzy,
    Both my grandmother's sewed, so I stood by their machines & watched for hours. They made clothes & quilts for the whole family. I took 3 yrs Home Ec. We had a great teacher & she showed us how to make adjustments to patterns. I agree with you that it's easier to make our own clothes if the ones in the store don't fit well. I'm 62 & my body parts have gone South with gravity (to a degree), so it's hard to find a pattern that fits me all over. LOL. I've learned to eye garments on the rack & come home, cut out my own garment & sew it up. I have some old patterns I use, just change them as fashions change. Latest fashions are hard to adjust because my middle is too full for the short jackets. Hate the blouses that come a few inches below jackets.
    Old 08-21-2009, 08:38 PM

Star,
    The teens love the totes. There are so many free patterns that can be downloaded I can have her go online & find one she wants to make. I like the ones with lots of embellishments. My gdau said the trend is large bangle bracelets and pins to add to totes. I like her ideas, so can tap into her mind to see what's hot right now. My ideas are far behind sometimes.
    Old 08-21-2009, 09:27 PM

As a lefty, I have found that my teachers were more concerned about my differences than I was .... and, I couldn't teach my left-handed daughter to do anything!

One of the things I found helpful in learning new things (it may just be the kind of learner I am) is to have the sample as you indicated ... but, if in a situation where you are sewing the same seams over and over (as in sewing two patches together), I could learn it easier if someone did it five times in front of me. (I worked at a factory, and production was the name of the game).
    Whenever I was moved to a new operation, I would have my supervisor sew five pieces so that I could see how she handled the fabric, what it would look like, how she held her hands ... a myriad of things you do while sewing that you don't even realize.
    I understand about "if it is worth doing, it is worth doing correctly the first time" ... I was blessed to have worked in a factory where quality was definitely a must! I have always appreciated good standards and ideals.
    I always worry about a beginner becoming so burdened with doing it EXACTLY right that they become discouraged.
    It is similar to most quilters "sew an exact 1/4 inch seam allowance" (which in some piecing is extremely important) ... versus my friend, Mary Ellen Hopkins, who says "PPM" - - personal private measurement, the key is consistency ....
    And, I so agree with those who have encouraged you with "enjoy them".
    I didn't like teenagers when I was one, but I learned how to celebrate their individual personalities and gifts. And, to be able to teach a young one how to celebrate who they are in a productive way is a true gift for yourself. It is really amazing how a simple word or sentence can make their world different for the rest of their life. A big responsibility but such a blessing, too.
    Old 08-22-2009, 08:38 AM

I think all the suggestion are super. The only thing I would suggest would be to let her first quilt project be a "rag" quilt. They are easy and fun and she won't get discouraged.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:47 AM
    Power Poster

Much as I hated to baste- I think giving suggestions about when doing it saves time in the long run might be useful.