Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best invention yet >

Best invention yet

Best invention yet

Old 01-19-2014, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Divokittysmom View Post
Does anyone own the 'Lighted Edge', or Non Glare Blue versions? Wondering if they are worth the extra $$..
I do have the lighted edge and I thin k it is helpful and worth the extra few dollars. I don't sew much at nite which is when I think it would really be useful.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
OK, I bought a June Taylor Pro @ JAF for Xmas and I am very disappointed in it. I have to struggle to get my rotary cutter into the slots. I had come across this item in a post on QB and told my friend in Texas (also a member of the board) about the post. She bought both sizes immediately.

My questions are
Where did you buy it?
What size did you buy?
What color did you get?
How much pressure do you have to put on the ruler??
How difficult is it to change from looking at lines on a ruler to using the grid on the mat??

I just don't want to buy anything that won't work for me. I have lost over half of my motor coordination but I am still making just tops for charity. You have to have something to do when you become disable !! I have NEVER cut myself with a rotary cutter but now I am really concern with safety!! THANKS
You have to buy it from the Quilter's Slidelock website.
I have the shorter one. It is the one used most often. The longer one is used to make WOF cuts with only one fold in the fabric.
It doesn't come in colors--but the new ones have an edge which reflects light or something.
All you have to do is kind of lean some of your weight on the top of the handle, and the little rubber balls underneath protrude and do their job well.
You don't cut with the lines on the mat at all. All you do is position your old ruler as you are used to doing, then abut the Slidelock against it, remove the ruler and make your cut against the Slidelock. The only thing you have to get used to is starting the cut on the opposite side of the fabric from what you used to do.
HTH
Old 01-19-2014, 06:35 PM

This is something I had not heard of. I will watch this post for more information
Old 01-19-2014, 06:54 PM

LOVE my Slidelock! Actually, I have two, but normally use the 14". Both have the "lighted edge" which isn't really lighted, but a tint that reflects light. When I cut yardage, I fold in half twice - once selvedge to selvedge, then again - so 4 layers thick. Cuts without a problem. I have also cut 8 layers... Not sure I'd recommend that, but I've done it. Keep in mind, you have to have a good blade in your cutter. The Slidelock prevents any slippage at all.

I was lucky enough to buy mine through a group buy; they are also available at quilt shows as listed on their website. Although I didn't pay the regular price, I honestly would say that if I had, it would STILL be worth it.

Sometimes I cut using the lines on my Martelli mat (the only mat that I've found to have reliable measurements), other times I use an acrylic ruler as is shown in the demo video. While working on Celtic Solstice, I found that the Slidelock is 3 1/2" wide, so didn't have to measure - just cut on both sides.

Maniacquilter - I thought I was the only one who didn't like the June Taylor ruler! Hated it so much I gave it away. I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one after all, lol.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:06 AM

Thanks for posting this. I had never heard of this tool. I am really intrigued and will look into it further.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:34 AM
Power Poster

I was just checking the price and it listed $44.95 for the 24". A little pricey for me right now. But it looks like a neat addition to your tools.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:45 AM

I have used both sizes and LOVE them. The video on quiltersslidelock.com is very helpful. I noticed that Nancy's Notions have it in their latest catalog.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by twinkie View Post
I was just checking the price and it listed $44.95 for the 24". A little pricey for me right now. But it looks like a neat addition to your tools.
It is expensive, but worth the price for the safety of it, not to mention the accuracy of your cuts. Put it on your birthday or Christmas list for your family to get you---however you can get it the soonest. Ask those on here who have had rotary cutter accidents how much their trip to the ER cost in comparison.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:02 AM

I have 2 June Tailor rulers. One that cuts half inch increments and one that cuts quarter inch increments. I know what you are saying about getting your cutter in the slots but after using mine for quite some time I have overcome that problem and would not give these rulers up for anything. The speed with which you can cut multiples of squares and strips is invaluable to me not to mention the accuracy you get.

I am considering the Accu cut 2 though because of a serious arm injury I have which requires me to clamp down my rulers before I cut.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:19 AM

Last year at retreat I watched someone using a June Taylor cutting mat. It seemed a lot faster for cutting multiple strips of the same fabric and I use a lot of 1.5 inch strips, so I bought one. Now I'm working on Mystic Nights, which uses 1.5 inch strips (LOTS of strips) and accuracy is really important. When I took a close look at the strips I had cut with the JT mat I could see with my naked eye that the beginning of the strip was accurate, the end was accurate, but the middle of the strip was bowing inward. More than 1/8 of an inch may not matter when you have a 2.5 inch strip or more to work with, but when all you have is 1.5 inch and row after row after row of narrow strips, it can make a difference!

I have ordered the 14" lighted edge Slidelock and can't wait for it to arrive. I sure hope it works as well as everyone says!