Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best Quality Solids? >

Best Quality Solids?

Best Quality Solids?

Old 07-29-2014, 05:06 AM

look for the American made brand.available at some fabric stores.not jo-anns.this line is completely made in the USA.start to finish.the cotton is even grown here.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

In my experience - and this was about ten years ago - the Kaufman Kona colors DID have variations in the dye lots.

So, just because the color name and number matched, the fabric colors might have been slightly different.

As far as that goes, I think it is ALWAYS a good idea (if/when possible) to get all one needs of a given fabric all from the same bolt.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by ladydukes View Post
I'm also looking for a BLACK black BATIK that "reads" as a solid for a Judy Niemeyer "Weeping Willow" quilt that I plan to start as soon as I finish my BH Celtic Solstice (hopefully THIS WEEK!!)....

Black fabric is sewn to the sections to make the quilt "pop." If any of you have suggestions, I'm open to it. My GF made the JN Willow bed runner out of batiks, but used a non-batik fabric for her black strips. I'd prefer to use really black batik if I can find it...otherwise...I'll use Kona solids.
Connecting Threads has a nice dark black batik, it's nearly a solid but not quite! I've bought it a couple times.

On this page, it's down a few rows. "Plumage - Raven".
http://www.connectingthreads.com/col...ics__L196.html

Last edited by Sewnoma; 07-29-2014 at 06:49 AM. Reason: forgot to add the link!
Old 07-30-2014, 09:49 AM

Hi, Everyone,

Wow! Thank you so much for all the responses. I really learned a lot reading through everyone's thoughts.

After reading through this thread, I went to independent fabric stores and bought bright red and plain white swatches of Kauffman Kona, Moda Bella, and AMB (American Made Brand by Clothworks). The vibrancy of the colors in all three brands seemed equally rich to me, both before and after washing, which is good. The winner for me, though, was AMB. No question. Its higher thread count really does make a difference and I just loved working with it. As someone else on this thread mentioned, AMB has a thread count of 78 x 74, while Moda Bella and Kona both have a 60 x60 count. Admittedly, I was already a little partial to the idea of working with AMB brand even before the challenge, simply because it's not an export, but the proof really was in the pudding. It's really beautifully soft, but not at all thin or flimsy feeling.

Just for fun, I made quilt sandwiches out of all the test swatches: two for each brand (one red swatch, one white), using low-loft bamboo batting for each swatch. I quilted using a cross-hatch design with the lines an inch apart. I laundered them and then asked my mother, my fiancee, and two friends feel them (without knowing which was which). All four picked the AMB swatches, without any hesitation. When I asked which swatch came second, they split down the middle with two people saying they liked the Moda Bella swatches second best because they liked its silky feel and the other two pointing to the Kona because they did NOT like the silky feel of the Moda. Go figure. It should be noted that everyone had to be prodded to pick a second favorite; initially, they all said that while the AMB was the standout the other two were fairly equal. So, there you have it.

The other things to consider are color choice and price. Here's how the three break down in terms of color and price. I'm using the prices found at Fat Quarter Shop online, which is pretty standard, but, obviously, prices can fluctuate depending on where you shop:

Kauffman Kona: 271 colors @ $6.99 a yard. Color card is $19.50
Moda Bella Solids: 237 colors @ $12.99 a yard. Color card is $34.99
AMB by Clothworks: 50 colors @ $6.49 a yard. Color card is $11.00.

For me, the quality and the price of AMB makes it a no-brainer and I can't wait to get started with my bigger project. That being said, I think their color selection may be limiting for a lot of people. As someone else pointed out, I wouldn't mix and match these different brands because the weight and feel are so different. As someone who's not initially motivated by color and who's been more into neutrals these days anyway, AMB has everything I need for now. They're fairly new, so maybe more will be on the way.

As someone else on this thread said, the "best" brand is the one YOU like best. After hearing all the diverse opinions, I just thought it would be fun to do this small scale fabric challenge. Not a foolproof challenge by any measure. Thanks for indulging me and, as always, for all the help on this site.

Best,
Aso
Old 07-30-2014, 11:14 AM
Power Poster

Wow, great info!!! I just checked the Fat Quarter Shop, though, and Kaufman Kona is coming up $10.75/yard. AMB seems to be a great choice at $6.49/yard.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:20 AM

I prefer Bella Solids, over the last year or so it seems that the Kona's I have purchased have a terrible fraying issue and it drives me batty!!!! Joann's is now 8.99 a yard for Kona !!!!! So now I am forced to buy online and I will buy Bella from my favorite online store. I purchased the swatches so that I can match much better, well worth the small investment!!
Old 07-30-2014, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Wow, great info!!! I just checked the Fat Quarter Shop, though, and Kaufman Kona is coming up $10.75/yard. AMB seems to be a great choice at $6.49/yard.
Thanks, Prism! I just re-checked Fat Quarter Shop and I think what you might be seeing for $10/yard is the Kona organics. Kona Cotton Solids by Robert Kauffman is coming up $6.99/yard for me.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:27 PM

I was told that the Kona solids that Joann's carries is a lower thread count than what you would buy at a quilt shop. I purchase mine from Missouri Star Quilt Co. They shell it for under 6.00 a yard but I have seen it on sale at Thousands of Bolts just One Nut. Bella solids are also very nice.

Jeanne
Old 07-30-2014, 05:07 PM

Just a note, AMB is now sold by AQS (American Quilter's Society) so if you're a member, you'll get 20% off their regular price ($7.95), making it $6.36 per yard.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:55 AM

I prefer Moda Bella. I used Kona solids as sashing and it frayed terribly when I washed the completed top
. Had to resew my seams it was so bad.