Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best Quality Solids? >

Best Quality Solids?

Best Quality Solids?

Old 07-28-2014, 08:35 AM

I buy Kauffman Kona at my LQS for $8/yd. Winter white is a favorite as well as black but I've used several diff colors.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:06 AM

My all time favorite quality solid is South Seas imports. They come in 55-56" width and really hold up well. I also like Connecting Threads, although not as dense of a weave.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:17 AM

I purchase my Kona cotton fabric at Hobby Lobby. It is usually on sale for 30% off the regular $7.99. And since it is a consistent color from bolt to bolt, I don't worry about things not matching.

For a black batik, I would suggest you look at Thousands of Bolts or Batiks Plus.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Edit: I wanted to add that if you think you will be using lots of solids, it's a good idea to invest in the color cards for the different lines. Shop around online, though, as they are often priced differently on different websites. (Also check the number of colors on the card to make sure you are getting the most recent.)
I have one of these and use it alot. I love that I am able to have the full range of colors available and not just what the store decided to carry. I can get the exact color I am looking for. When I know which one, I order from Hobby Lobby. The carry all of the colors on-line, the offer free shipping with purchase over $50, and their prices are really good. I have yet to be disappointed. HTH
Old 07-28-2014, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
The fabric that is bought by JAF and Walmart are called "seconds". JAF has almost doubled their price on their "Kona cotton" so I look for sales at Hancock of Paducah when I buy Kona cotton. The quality and the color comparison is so stunning when compared to the Lona cotton fabric at JAF. The black is deeper and richer. I was shocked so I don't buy my Kona from JAF any longer. There happens to be a 20% sale on at Hancock of Paducah. Moda Bella is also suppose to be a high quality solid but I have never used it. We as woman have various opinions so nothing is going to be the BEST. Both lines are high quality solid fabrics.
I agree they have the most colors to choose from and I love Kona. I have never had anything but the best results from fabrics I have ordered from them.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
I have purchased Kona at JoAnns and been pleased with the quality. You do have to be careful because they have their brand and Kona placed side by side and there is a big difference in the two.
I agree re: Kona
Old 07-28-2014, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by celwood View Post
The suggestion to purchase a color card is right on point. I found that what looks great on the computer screen is not always the right color when it arrives. With the color card (which is actual swatches of fabrics) I get the matching correct. Moda Bella has an extra smooth look and is very pretty but I have had problems with fraying. Moda did answer me that the thread count is high and that sometimes this causes fraying. I have remained loyal to the Kona brand since it never seems to give me any problems.
That explanation does not even sound logical; the higher the thread count, the more threads per square inch, which sould be a tighter weave. A looser weave creates more fraying than a tighter weave.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:05 PM

I bought a bunch of solids from equilter.com a couple of years ago since I didn't like the quality and color selection at Hancocks back then. Equilter's quality was great and I had trouble narrowing down what to order since they have so many colors....which is a nice problem to have, in my opinion.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by dee1245 View Post
That explanation does not even sound logical; the higher the thread count, the more threads per square inch, which should be a tighter weave. A looser weave creates more fraying than a tighter weave.
Exactly! It's especially ridiculous since Moda Bella is a 60x60 broadcloth, exactly the same thread count and weave pattern as Kaufman Kona Solids, and lower than most regular quilting cottons which are in the 75 thread range.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:23 PM

I am a broken record here. I know Kona is different fabric/quality. I don't care what the manufacture says. My results are from only a few colors, bought one - looked at many kona colors at a well known quilt shop. I had to have the color or I would not have touched it. Thin and coarse. I do love Moda Bella and if the quality changes I'll be searching for something to replace it, but for now I don't think it can be beat.