Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best seam ripper/unpicker..? >

Best seam ripper/unpicker..?

Best seam ripper/unpicker..?

Old 11-13-2015, 06:21 AM

What a lot of the round ones need to do is add an anti-roll ring or equivalent on the end. I have Exacto knives that have an octagonal piece on the end that keeps it from rolling.

It's real hard to get a seam ripper you really like and have it roll off a table and under who knows what when you are sewing. (I've also buried the flat ones under piles of junk and the ones that retract, do break)

Here's a pic of an Exacto no roll knife with a comfort handle:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=1&*entries*=0

I'd pay that for a decent seam ripper that stayed put.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-03-2016 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:53 AM

I like my seam fix ripper with the rubbery tip to remove small threads. But I most often grab my little snips and just snip along the seam.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
If you're questioning WHY I have so many, I keep a bag with projects in the car, and a couple in the sewing room. LOL
Pocoellie- NO need to explain or apologize! I have scissors/nippers/seam rippers/nail clippers stashed EVERYWHERE! I am almost as bad with them as fabric. My fav seam ripper is Clover- altho I wish it came with a top for when I travel. that little plastic sleeve does NADA. my fav pair of scissors? These little stork scissors I found at the check out of a LQS. I think I paid $1.88 for them! they are sharp to the point making them perfect for unpicking/hand applique prep and anything else I dream up.
Attached Thumbnails scissors.jpg  
Old 11-13-2015, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

I use my 28mm rotary cutter. I took apart a crib size quilt in 5 minutes and never cut the fabric. Then took my lint roller to remove the threads. I keep that one at home. I do have other seam rippers.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:12 AM

Some good ideas here! I'm currently working on a major rip out project. I satin stitched the wrong ribbon trim on 12 shirts that I need to fix. It's the satin stitching that makes it a challenge. I've got three shirts done, and keep looking for a better way to do it. I did buy an electric ripper (is like a small hair clipper) but it won't work with the satin stitching.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:21 AM

I'm with Bueniebabe, I bought the Clover seam ripper with the round handle (the brown handle one is a dud). It's the sharpest and has the smallest "blade" to get under the smallest seam. Haven't had a problem with it getting dull. After doing the search and swear several times I went to the Clover website and purchased 5 more. I can now find one (or two) before I reach frustration level. Since I can manage to poke or cut holes in my work I'm afraid to try using my rotary cutter, thread snips or scalpel.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:19 AM

Battery powered fr long seams. for my small one I like my brother one that came with the machine the best
Old 11-15-2015, 03:46 AM
Vat

The best one I have found with the finest point it by seam-fix. They have a couple of sizes but the smallest has the finest point.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:44 AM

At a quilt show, I found an electric seam ripper (by Wahl) which works well in undoing seams. It looks like a hair clipper except it is smaller and is an inch wide...one of the best notions I have ever bought. It is held just so that it touches the thread only and the job is done before you know it. I took it to a quilt retreat, and I was helping rip stitches for others . MSQC sells a different brand, same thing.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:52 AM

I just bought this one about 5 months ago. Now I wonder why I ever messed around with the other kinds. It is super sharp compared to any I have ever bought before. I also love my battery operated The Quick Ripper. I have never regretted buying it either. I hate ripping, but I love having the proper tools to do it.