Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bias Binding--a question (honestly!) >

Bias Binding--a question (honestly!)

Bias Binding--a question (honestly!)

Old 06-13-2016, 03:05 AM

I love the tube method and use it all the time. It took me a while to get the "hang" of it but I think it makes a stronger binding.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Shelbie View Post
Using this method (the only one that has ever made sense to me) http://piraterodgers.com/tutorials/cbt/cbt-webpage.pdf will make me over 420" of 2 1/2" bias binding from 28" WOF. I can now make this binding in about an hour including pressing. The pictures and instructions are clear and easy to follow and there is no wasted fabric. This PDF is nine pages but if you don't want to read all of her rationale for using this method, the main instructions are on pages 4-7. Try it, you'll like it.
Thanks for this link. I always do the tube method and this will be what I try next.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I cut bias this way and join the strips. Fast and easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO7iTP1MSsY
I checked out your link, and this sounds like to way to go to me. I have read the other way where you match up ends but stagger...ugh! Hate even thinking about trying that way. Your link seems so straightforward, to me anyway.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:22 AM

Okay, here's an update. Thank you Shelbie! I printed the PDF and followed it to the point of drawing the lines. I then did as PatriceJ mentioned. I drew a couple of partial lines (just an inch or so) on either end of the tube and that was so that I could line the two sides up more precisely. I sewed the seam to make the tube and then used my rotary cutter and a smaller cutting board on my ironing board to cut the spiral. 1 1/2 hours later, the binding is pressed and ready to attach to my quilt!

I think the problems I experienced the first time came from over-handling the fabric--and not knowing my straight of grain from my bias (duh!)

Thanks everyone for you comments. I don't know if this is a technique I will use often, but at least I know I can do it if I have to!
Old 06-13-2016, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
Soooo...I have had a less than productive day. I need to bind a quilt that has a very gentle zigzag edge on two sides. After trying a piece of straight cut binding, I decided it really needed bias binding--something that I rarely use. I went to my Complete Quilter's Guide and read their directions. I then read over notes I had from a recent Guild demo and proceeded to make my 'tube'.

Cut the piece into two triangles--check.
Sew them together on the short sides---check.
Draw lines...ummm...Draw more lines because the first ones were not on the bias but on the straight--okay finally...check. (lunch break)
Line up the two edges and offset by one row....aaand try again....one more time now...yessss!!! and sew--check.
Cut and cut and cut some more (I needed 420 inches)and then press in half and press...you get the idea..but check.

Okay time to sew it on the front of the quilt and it is going on beautifully. Even the gentle zigzag looks perfect--except for the colour....hmmmm....after 2 1/2 sides I realized that I had not auditioned the binding fabric against all the other fabrics it would touch and I really needed a plain creme to set off all the blocks. Time to unsew....sigh...

Okay finally, folks (if you've stuck with me so far) here is my question--Can anyone tell me what the benefit is in going thru all those contortionistic steps to get one continuous piece of binding,rather than just draw the lines, cut the strips and sew them together? I dread going thru this whole thing again tomorrow...
Oh my, I have such an easier way to make bias binding! you fold it in a certain way and cut it, you then need to sew the ends together which you might not like but it's so much easier than any other method I've seen. I've posted this in a previous post. Type bias binding and you will find it hopefully! I will try to find it for you again.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I cut bias this way and join the strips. Fast and easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO7iTP1MSsY
Thank you sooo much for this link. Much easier than another one I've tried.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:42 AM

Donna, I sure hope you can find your way for us. I "searched" Bias and your name, but nothing was found! I'm sue many of us would like to see it!
Old 06-13-2016, 01:49 PM

Kitsie do an advanced search with 'bias binding' in the key words box and DonnaPBradshaw in the exact name box.

Honestly, if you are doing the tube thingy, do it the was PatriceJ suggested. It worked a treat!
Old 06-13-2016, 02:25 PM

http://www.mccallsquilting.com/mccal...uous_bias?bc=c
I hope this link works! It is my favorite way to make continuous bias binding. Her instructions are so detailed and there is a chart to tell you the size fabric square needed for the width and length of binding you need. I have the video bookmarked and just play it and follow each step.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:41 PM

I'm a fan of the tube method, better than sewing all those seams together. (for me! ) To each his own?