Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Big Stitch Hand Quilting- how many strands of embroidery thread do I use? >

Big Stitch Hand Quilting- how many strands of embroidery thread do I use?

Big Stitch Hand Quilting- how many strands of embroidery thread do I use?

Old 04-03-2013, 08:10 PM

I would like to see some of your big stitch quilting once you get some done. I have done it a little bit on some wall quilts, but never anything of size, and usually as outling fusible appliques.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:11 PM

You may want to check the needles for rust. I noticed rust spots on some of my counted cross stitch needles when cleaned my drawers of old craft projects.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:38 AM

I have been doing big stitch for many years and love it. I use the no. 8 Pearl cotton, but have to order it online and if I need something right away and don't have the right color, then I use embroidery floss which is readily available in many colors at Joann's or Michaels. I usually separate the floss in half which is 3 strands. I also use those small helpful thingamabobs to help me thread the needles. I guess they are called needle threaders
Old 04-04-2013, 07:42 AM

That sounds like an interesting concept - there is an answer for every problem isn't there!
Old 04-05-2013, 01:58 AM

I use 1 strand of #8 perle cotton and a large eye milliners needle, usually a 5, but sometimes a 10. I love the length of the milliners needle. Also I use a pair of curved needle nose spring loaded pliers to pull the needle through. It really saves the wrists. I use the running stitch and it goes very fast, my favorite method of quilting.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:11 AM

Barb_mo, I will also have to practice how to attach pictures to my replies. Thanks for your interest...gosh, Bigggg Stitches are what they are, but I am enjoying the process. Wish I had a bigger hoop so I don't have to shift around so much...oh well. Do you hand quilt on a hoop or what?

Your quilts on Etsy are beautiful!!! What a wonderful way to earn some extra money.

I do not go to Facebook, got too many weired email messages just signing up once....never posted anything there, but strange emails starting coming in by the dozens for a long while.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:30 PM

So happy to find this topic! Interested in trying Big Stitch and this information was just what I needed to know!
Old 05-13-2015, 02:17 PM

Big Stitch is not new, it's always been around, just didn't have a "proper" name. Some people have referred to it as a utility stitch. Billie Lauder has put out a book titled "Quilting in the BigStitch Style" (one word). It is a small book, but has what you need to know. Somewhere I read that she gives credit to Jo Glover for teaching it. An excellent tutorial is "How to Big Stitch Quilt Like Lorraine Hofmann Slide Show" at TheBlueCatCreations.com , Blue Cat used two words. On 12-10-1011 there was a discussion on here in which Jan in VA discussed how she does it.

I love the looks of it for the texture it creates.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:04 PM

I looked for the book by Billie Laudner... at least I think that's how the last name is spelled. It didn't matter, it's out of print. If any one has one that they would like to sell, please let me know by IM.
Thanks, Sharon
Old 05-14-2015, 05:51 AM

Oh, thanks for posting this question. I am currently embroidering some blocks with pearle cotton and have been wondering how I would quilt it. This is perfect. Thanks!

FYI: I read on Pintrest how to get the perfect size to work. In the skeins, there is one end that has two loops. If you cut the two loops, you can move the paper bands to the center and pull a single thread from the one loop end. There is usually a knot somewhere that you have to cut out,I always pull that thread first.

Last edited by toverly; 05-14-2015 at 05:58 AM.