Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Big Stitch Hand Quilting- how many strands of embroidery thread do I use? >

Big Stitch Hand Quilting- how many strands of embroidery thread do I use?

Big Stitch Hand Quilting- how many strands of embroidery thread do I use?

Old 05-15-2015, 07:50 AM

About 7 years ago, I made my first quilt, and I decided to hand quilt it. The lady who was teaching me to quilt was gracious enough to sit with me while I worked at hand quilting, encouraging me along the way. She explained that as I got more comfortable and experienced, I'd learn to make my stitches smaller and smaller. She suggested that I NOT rip out the larger stitches so as to see how I would progress. I didn't work ONLY on that quilt, wanting to learn other techniques on other quilts. When I finished a project (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA) I went back to my original quilt to work on hand quilting. SOOOOOOO, back to the larger stitches, working to make them smaller and smaller. Fast forward to TODAY, and right here on this quilting board, I learn there is such a thing as BIG STITCH quilting. I will NOW explain (if asked) that part of the quilt was BIG STITCH quilted, and the other part was smaller stitches. In this way, I will be able to explain to new quilters the difference between BIG STITCH quilting and small stitch quilting. THANK YOU one and all. I'm off to my LQS to see in person, just what BIG STITCH quilting is all about. Perhaps I can teach THEM a thing or three. Oh, by the way, I have the last quadrant of the quilt to finish. No camera available to 'SHOW OFF' my beautiful sample of BIG and small stitch quilting. I wouldn't know how to do that anyway.