Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding cut on the bias a must? >

Binding cut on the bias a must?

Binding cut on the bias a must?

Old 11-11-2014, 04:08 AM
Power Poster

Yes, you need bias binding to use on any curve. It is not difficult, you just have to be careful when pressing if you are using the tradition double fold binding.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:44 AM

I'll give bias binding a try! Thanks so much everyone.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:00 AM

I have found a way to make bias binding really easy. Explaining it won't be so easy. Begin with square of rectangle piece of fabric. Fold the bottom right corner up, fold the top right corner down, just like like making a paper hat. Here is the tricky part. take the bottom left corner and fold it up toward the top right corner so that you're folding the edge along itself. it should make a strange looking rectangle shape. Make a narrow 1/8 inch cut to remove the double fold of fabric and cut your strips with a rotary blade the size you want!
Old 11-11-2014, 07:48 AM

Sorry, this is from a confused newbie: I thought binding is always supposed to be cut in bias? Do you just use a straight strip of fabric to bind your quilts?
Old 11-11-2014, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

I do gentle curves and use binding not cut on the bias just fine. It's those dips in deep scallops that really get you. So i think you should be fine.
Attached Thumbnails lubas-xmas-qlt-2009.jpeg  

Last edited by nativetexan; 11-11-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:52 AM
Power Poster

Bias binding is a lot easier to use if you heavily starch the fabric before cutting the strips. I use a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo laundry starch and water, but multiple layers of spray starch would work also. It stabilizes the bias just enough so you get accurate cuts; the "give" is still there, though, when you need it around the curves without the fabric over-stretching from handling.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:54 PM
Power Poster

I only do straight binding and cut strips WOF.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:11 PM
Power Poster

When I do curved corners, I only do the curves with bias binding and the rest with regular binding. You have to take the time to measure and mark where you want the bias pieces to go but worth the work.

Personally, I have never had a problem doing bias binding and if you are hand finishing, the thread just disappears into the fabric. If the baby quilt will be used a lot, the bias binding is also longer wearing because of the cross grain of the binding.

Be sure to show us the completed project.
peace
Old 11-11-2014, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Monale View Post
Sorry, this is from a confused newbie: I thought binding is always supposed to be cut in bias? Do you just use a straight strip of fabric to bind your quilts?
Hey there "confused newbie" Not all binding needs to be on the bias. With me .... this is my own opinion .... it depends on how my quilt is going to be used. If the quilt is a wall hanging, placemat, or tablerunner I will bind them with a straight grain binding. Any quilt that will be used as a bed cover or lap cover then I will use a bias binding. The reason is that the bias binding will wear better on those type of quilts than a straight of grain binding. Being new to quilting it is great that you are asking questions. Just remember there is no such thing as the "quilt police" and what works for you is the right way for your quilting. Keep asking questions.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by copehome View Post
I am thinking of trimming the edge of a baby quilt in gentle curves. If it is shallow, must I use binding cut on the bias?
I'm with the majority here, I feel that a bias binding would be best to use with curves ..... even gentle ones. You might also want to check out these videos of Sharon Schamber's glue binding technique ....

http://quiltinggallery.com/2008/05/1...rs-school-glue