Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding cut on the bias a must? >

Binding cut on the bias a must?

Binding cut on the bias a must?

Old 11-11-2014, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Monale View Post
Sorry, this is from a confused newbie: I thought binding is always supposed to be cut in bias? Do you just use a straight strip of fabric to bind your quilts?
I think you and I went to the same binding school! I have always preferred using folded bias bindings on all my quilts. I think I get a stronger binding, whereas I have seen frayed edges on straight of grain bindings after several years of use and washings. And bias is easier for me to sew as well. They mold around the edges easily.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Sync View Post
Hey there "confused newbie" Not all binding needs to be on the bias. With me .... this is my own opinion .... it depends on how my quilt is going to be used. If the quilt is a wall hanging, placemat, or tablerunner I will bind them with a straight grain binding. Any quilt that will be used as a bed cover or lap cover then I will use a bias binding. The reason is that the bias binding will wear better on those type of quilts than a straight of grain binding. Being new to quilting it is great that you are asking questions. Just remember there is no such thing as the "quilt police" and what works for you is the right way for your quilting. Keep asking questions.
Originally Posted by GrammieJan View Post
I think you and I went to the same binding school! I have always preferred using folded bias bindings on all my quilts. I think I get a stronger binding, whereas I have seen frayed edges on straight of grain bindings after several years of use and washings. And bias is easier for me to sew as well. They mold around the edges easily.
Although I'm new to quilting, but I've always loved any kind of needle work and if I remember right, I've learned to cut bias tape back in middle school when we had some classes called "textile arts". That's what I've used ever since for anything textile, bags, book covers, and now naturally my quilts. I have never even considered that I could bind something with a straight strip of fabric... I'm aware that bias cut fabric may be longer lasting, so thanks for the tip about considering the use of a quilted item! I think I'll stick to using bias tape for my baby quilts and bed quilts.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:38 AM

If you are binding straight edges you don't need bias binding. If you are binding a curve of any kind you will need to cut bias binding to get it to lay properly. The only other solution would be to make a facing and turn it to the back of the quilt.