Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
bleeding red >

bleeding red

bleeding red

Old 02-26-2009, 09:35 AM

I bought 4 yards of red fabric at a walmart in another town . I cut a few strips and put it together with my yellow and blue strips. was pressing the blocks and noticed a pink tint on my ironing board cover. So I threw it back in the washer with 2 more color catchers. I had washed it with one the first time . HOW MANY TIMES SHOULD I HAVE TO WASH THIS WITH COLOR CATCHERS?? I tested it again , with a spray of water and ironed it and it is still bleeding on my iron board cover. I don't know if I can return it to Walmart , I have my receipt, but bought other fabric , so the price rings up as a total fabric price. This is a quilt I am making for a gift; so I am trying to hurry to get it done, and can't waste time running around looking for a well behaved red.
Elaine
Old 02-26-2009, 09:38 AM

I think you can wash it with a setting chemical, can't you? Someone on here posted about something you could add to the wash to "set" the dye. Not sure how available that would be if you aren't close to a fairly large city.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:56 AM

You can wash it with a 1/2 to 1 cup of white vinegar and that will set the color. Salt works too.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:17 AM

Ok, Thank you S D. I just through it back in the washer along with another red yardage , that I had for my Amish quilt. and a cup of vinegar. I have never had this much problem with reds before.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:19 AM

oh no Elaine how awful :(
You might want to check this site out for future reference http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/FAQ/settingdye.shtml
I know that won't help you now.
If the color grabber sheet didn't get it all the first wash it isn't going to happen :evil: Bite the bullet and start over with another red fabric. Take the other material back with the fabric grabber to show them at some time when it is convenient. I can tell you from experience that fabric will just keep bleeding.
So sorry for your trouble ... isn't that always the way when you are in a hurry?! Wishing you better luck from here on out. :D
Old 02-26-2009, 10:50 AM

I am always wary when I buy a known "bleeding" fabric from Walmart. I seem to have better luck when I purchase a better grade, either online or at my LQS.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:01 PM

Our teacher at sewing club the other day said to be sure & not use laundry soap as that adds more chemicals to the water. I use vinegar. Hope that works.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:21 PM

I don't wash all my fabric, but if ita bright red, I wash with cold water and vinegar and a color catcher and add salt.......................red is red it didn't matter where it was from.some bleeds some doesn't. just remember to treat your quilts and fabric like your best washables :D
Old 02-26-2009, 01:00 PM
Administrator

that's a shame. and an interesting coincidence. i just bought a red print there, too. it didn't bleed in the wash, but my iron gets red gunk on it when i press.

i was really surprised because i've never had a single fabric of any color from walmart bleed. only 2 or 3 have ever shrunk (shrank?) a teeny bit. the only fabs that have ever bled on me or shrunk badly have been LQS grade that are $9 and up if not on sale.

which fabric was it? was it this one? if not, can you post a pic?

Attached Thumbnails attachment-30673.jpe  
Old 02-26-2009, 01:19 PM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

college quilt.. all darks purple, greens, and a white Letter.. The letter became gray !

Broke may heart.. At least you are finding you need differant fabric.. Toss it.. It will always bleed !

Rethink it. not worth the time and heartbreak !

Ell