Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
bleeding red >

bleeding red

bleeding red

Old 03-05-2009, 03:08 PM

I always wash my fabrics. If they are darks I use Clorox 2 with my detergent in the first wash. Then wash just with detergent. If it still runs color a bit give it another wash. Always works for me and I do use fabrics from Walmart. gloria
Old 03-05-2009, 04:00 PM

wash in cold and put black pepper in with it
Old 03-05-2009, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by allie
wash in cold and put black pepper in with it
Can you please cite a source of info to back up your advice of using black pepper?
Old 03-05-2009, 04:44 PM

I had someone at local quilt shop where i live in west virginia to tell me that they say it really works but i dont know for sure because i haven't tried it
Old 03-06-2009, 03:17 AM
Power Poster

when working with dark, questionable fabrics (especially red) you really should wash it and wash it until it doesn't bleed any more...sometimes ...cheap fabrics mainly...it will never stop, but you can try to set the color with a commercial product or vinegar; soda; salt; (not all together :) .... always test a small piece and and see how much washing it is going to take to get it to stop; maybe save that fabric for a 'red' quilt, or one dark that the bleeding won't matter. another one of those moments where you really do get what you pay for...quality fabrics don't bleed like the inexpensive fabrics tend to. sorry and good luck
Old 03-06-2009, 03:06 PM

hello! i am a fabric dept. manager at WM. sorry about your problem. what kind of fabric is it? Palencia broadcloth, cotton club, sheer mist? I know my WM would return you $ if you weren't satisfied. Especially if you have the cash register tape. Even though it rings up as one purchase, it lists each upc number of fabric purchased. I've never used the color blocks so i don't know about their success. Good Luck.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:20 PM

Hi - sorry about your bleeding problem! Anytime I use a cheaper, very bright color, I wash the fabric before I use it. I have been burned by this before. Colors especially prone to bleed are reds, purples and black. If you have to wash it in warm/hot water more than 2 times, don't use it!! I've tried washing with salt in the water without any luck. Haven't tried vinegar. There are two commercial products -- synthrapol and retayne. I especially like the second one. They are good when you haven't pre-washed fabric and would like to set the colors to be sure they don't bleed. Add the proper amounts to the wash load - use HOT water and let sit for the recommended time in the wash. Continue the wash cycle to the end, then dry immediately. Do not let the quilt sit wet for a long time. Good luck!

Terri
Old 03-11-2009, 07:52 AM

Salt, pepper, vinegar. Almost a salad...

Our local Walmart, a newer Super Walmart, has discontinued their fabric dept. I am fortunate to be able to buy LQS fabrics at a really reasonable price (Mennonite shops nearby), I have bought WM fabrics, when I could. As others have found, just have to be careful & use good judgement when purchasing.

I don't understand why the service counter would question whether or not it could be returned, but am glad they did eventually give you your money back!
Old 03-11-2009, 08:35 AM

Elaine, I feel your pain. I bought (online) some Kaufman Kona red and prewashed with a color catcher. The color catcher turned pink so I figured I would just wash the fabric a second time. You guessed it, still pink.

Now, I'm going to try salt and white vinegar. Hope it works.

(But, actually I'm just glad I didn't start the quilt only to have it bleed all over when finished.)
Old 03-11-2009, 09:17 AM

I always prewash my fabrics. Now I am a bit leary of buying any reds. The lady at Walmart said that since it was 65% polyester, it shouldn't have bled.