Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bleeding turquoise batik >

Bleeding turquoise batik

Bleeding turquoise batik

Old 09-03-2012, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Riebejamen View Post
How long is "too long"? If I get it to the long armer by Wednesday, she might have it done for me in 2 weeks, then there is binding......
I am concerned that 2 weeks could be a real problem. I know you don't want to wash the quilt top prior to it being quilted , I hope someone else has a suggestion on treating it at this stage . I am afraid getting it wet without any "treatment" could make it worse.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I am concerned that 2 weeks could be a real problem. I know you don't want to wash the quilt top prior to it being quilted , I hope someone else has a suggestion on treating it at this stage . I am afraid getting it wet without any "treatment" could make it worse.
I have only a few issues washing the top before it's quilted; I guess the biggest is the ironing it again part, and protecting all those raw edges, most of which are seams, but there is the raw edge of the final border. Stay stitch it? How the heck do I wash a quilt top in 140 degree water w/o causing more issues? I have an HE washer. And will the sanitary cycle work the best? I'm told the temp is about 170. Thanks.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:22 PM

Doing nothing to it at this point isn't going to make a difference in how easily the run comes out later. There is no reason to panic, and no reason to rush. Wash it when it's finished...two weeks, four weeks, whatever. It doesn't make that much difference if you're not doing anything to set the loose dyes (that means use a DRY iron when pressing your blocks and set it at the lowest heat necessary...no steam, no spray of any kind, just to be safe...moist heat can set dyes). Re-read Scissor Queen's post. She knows what she's talking about.

Last edited by ghostrider; 09-03-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:28 PM
Power Poster

So sorry about the bleeding, but, your quilt is lvely.