Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with batik bleeding >

Help with batik bleeding

Help with batik bleeding

Old 05-27-2011, 11:46 AM

I am making a quilt with a Hoffman batik as the background color. It is a dark blue w/purple tones, called Marlin. I washed it with Retayne before using. After completing two mariner's compasses, I accidentally spilled some water on one and the blue bled into the yellow star! Any suggestions? I have almost $100 invested in this fabric and at this point I can't use it. Never mind I have two complicated blocks done.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:01 PM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!!!
Old 05-27-2011, 12:11 PM

Welcome to the board. Unfortunately I can't be of much help because I'm a rabid pre-washer of batiks (twice in hot water!), so ... this hasn't happened to me. I feel your pain though.

I know that some of the other great folks on the board have some suggestions though as I know your not the first this has happened to. Best of luck.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:11 PM
Power Poster

welcome from Minnesota. happy quilting
Old 05-27-2011, 12:14 PM
dd

Contact Hoffman. A friend of mine had something like that happen once, but she did buy the whole bolt, and they bought it back from her. Told her it had missed step in the process.
I was always told that salt would stop the bleeding. I was told white vinegar too but on another thread I saw where someone said cider vinegar. Not sure about that. I have always used salt. I had to soak the pillow cases I was embroidering in Oxi clean when my husband spilled his stupid iced sweet tea all over them. Had to finish it first though. What a sticky, yucky, stinky mess.

Good luck with your fabric. Sorry you had to find out after you had gone thru so much work. They look difficult.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:21 PM

Thanks for the thoughts! I did prewash in hot with Retayne. That's always worked before. Maybe I'll try to wash the uncut material again.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:26 PM

Hoffman is a high quality company - you should contact them - they will probably either tell you how to handle it - or replace it -Companies these days like to keep their name in good shape, (branding) sothey will probably stant by their merchandise - If they don't please let us know - and then they will loose marke share I am sure !
Old 05-27-2011, 12:27 PM

Welcome and sure hope you can solve your problem.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:33 PM
Power Poster

If you have already washed it in hot water with Retayne and it's still bleeding, I would definitely contact Hoffman! There isn't much point continuing with the pieceing when you know it's going to bleed. So sorry this happened to you.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:38 PM

Just a Note Retayne to be effective .. must be used with 140 degree water , any lower temperature will not be effective to prevent any future running/bleeding... and it needs to agitate for 20 minutes.
Anyway now onto the problem at hand Syntropol will remove the strayed dye if you do it SOON!!! For this type of problem I would use a cotton ball or q- tip.