Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with batik bleeding >

Help with batik bleeding

Help with batik bleeding

Old 05-27-2011, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S
Just a Note Retayne to be effective .. must be used with 140 degree water , any lower temperature will not be effective to prevent any future running/bleeding... and it needs to agitate for 20 minutes.
Anyway now onto the problem at hand Syntropol will remove the strayed dye if you do it SOON!!! For this type of problem I would use a cotton ball or q- tip.
this is the only way for retayne to work.

i work with batiks and do all my own dyeing and use retayne and syntropol on a daily basis - if you don't follow the directions to the letter its pointless.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:51 PM

Wow! What a group! Thanks for the welcome and suggestions. I'm off to get some Syntropol. The water was at least 140 degrees and it soaked well in excess of 20 minutes. I treated it in a stock pot on the stove and heated the water to just below boiling because my water heater isn't set that high. I've e-mailed Hoffman. We'll see what they say. The store where I purchased the fabric suggested Syntropol, also. I hope I can salvage the two compasses I have completed. I am kind of a newbie at this, and this quilt is way above my skill level! And they actually came out pretty well, I thought! But I am soooooo slow!
Old 05-27-2011, 02:47 PM

Your hot water may not be hot enough most hot water heaters are not that hot.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:40 AM

First, to adress some of the comments:

When I first used the Retayne, I put the fabric in a large stock pot and measured the temperature of the water with a thermometer. It was way in excess of the required temp, up around 180 degrees. I soaked it for even longer than the required time.

I got Synthrapol and have now washed the fabric at least five more times. (I've lost count.) The water was still a bright blue the last time. Is this reasonable? Is there anyone out there that has used Hoffman's Marlin batik and washed it? I would be interested to see what your experience has been.

I've used all of the Synthrapol and I don't want to waste any more if the fact it is still bleeding significantly after so many washings indicates the fabric is defective. However, if this is reasonable, I'll go get more and keep going.

Thanks.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:56 PM
Power Poster

The continued bleeding with Synthrapol indicates that the dye is still not permanently set. Some fabrics require two go-arounds with Retayne. If that doesn't work, I would definitely email Hoffman outlining what you have done and offering to send a fabric sample to them for testing. It really sounds as if there was a manufacturing defect with this fabric, with perhaps some step missed or done incorrectly.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:40 PM

After all the washing and treatments you have done,and the fabric is still bleeding, something is wrong with the fabric. I would call Hoffman back and tell them how many times you have washed and treated the fabric, the soaking times and the dye stablizers used and let them know the fabric still bleeds.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:46 PM

wow...now I am afraid to attempt the batik quilt set that I have....I will following this to see how it turned out for you and good luck.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:19 PM

Pam, I've used batiks before and done nothing but wash them in Retayne and very hot water to prevent bleeding and cause as much shrinkage as possible and never had a problem. But this is a very dark color. I thought that might be the issue, but the difference seems excessive. My mistake was to assume that the treatment that has worked before would work this time. (We all know the saying about "assume!") Unfortunately, I completed two blocks, both mariner's compasses and very complicated for my skill level. So now I have to replace all of the fabrics for both of them and resew them:~( If I were you I would take little snips of my batiks and pair them with snips of white fabric. Pin them together and wet them. See if they bleed.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:58 AM
dd

Hoffman should reimburse you for everything, their fabric, supplies, fabric for the rest of the compass, hot water, everything, not just their fabric. This has been a lot of aggravation for you along with time and money spent that shouldn't have been. They need to make things right and I'm sure they will, just let them know how much trouble this has caused. You just deserve what you should have. Please let us know what they decide.