Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
blocks not the same size, what to do? >

blocks not the same size, what to do?

blocks not the same size, what to do?

Old 07-16-2012, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by mommabear62 View Post
Thanks so much ladies for the advice. I sure hope things start to work out better. Gets very frustrating.
More than 30 years ago I tried to do a Bear Paw block because that's what my husband liked. This was before the days of specialty tools: rulers, rotary cutters, cutting mats. Well, I haven't tried one again. Go to a simple pattern you like and try that. P.S. Some guilds get ridiculous with what they expect. Just sayin' it may not be the quilting that's not for you, but that particular guild.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:11 AM

I have been quilting about 18 months. Initially I would become very frustrated when I had to redo something that I had pieced and would find that I became anxious and did not enjoy what I was doing! After a few talks with myself, I decided to make the seam ripper my friend! Now, if I need to remove a seam or something I find that I am more exacting and do a better job, consequently less rippin out as well - It is amazing how you can turn a negative into something positive. Just don't be so hard on yourself, rather, note the improvements that you make as you go along!!
Old 07-16-2012, 05:13 AM

When I have blocks that aren't the same size and they are going to have sashings I cut the sashing fabric 1/2" larger. Say you want your sashing to be 2 inches. Cut the strips 2/12 inches then after they are all sewn cut the sashing to the same size. This happens to me a lot and I have never had a problem with this method.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:22 AM

I hate when that happens!
Old 07-16-2012, 07:03 AM

No the pattern is not online. I joined a quilting guild (neighbor convinced me to join) and one of the ladies is designing the blocks herself. I really think I have gotten in over my head. I keep thinking things will get easier as I proceed but I continue to rip out and resew as nothing ever seems to work out. Maybe quilting is not for me.
Don't quit. I have torn apart many blocks and when I got finished with the quilt I was happy with the work. Just use the suggestions given, to fit the quilt. Quilting is not perfect, and you may have some boo-boos but if you don't tell anyone they will assume you meant it that way.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
You may be able to "block" the block by using starch and a steam iron. I have pressed some blocks into submission and pinned them to the correct size on the ironing board. Not sure what the fudge factor is though. Sometimes the only option is a do-over. Like the other comment said: Wait until all of your blocks are finished. By then you will have gotten more experience too and it may be clearer why the block is off.
A Youtube tutorial says the fudge factor is 1/8". I've just finished 20 blocks for a red and white sampler quilt and when measuring and squaring up, I realized I had some problems, too. Two had points with not enough seam allowance so I replaced a square on one and completely remade the other. When I discovered most of my blocks were 12 1/4, I trimmed the others down to get in that ball park. I'd never thought or heard of adding a tiny amount but it's something I'll keep in mind.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:10 AM

Sharon Craig did a lecture at our quilt guild and introduced me to coping strips. See if your library has a copy of her setting solutions book. Basically, when she is gifted a bunch of blocks made by various quilters and they are different sizes, she "floats" the blocks by adding coping strips to all the blocks. These coping strips then become part of her design and it is no longer noticeable that the blocks are slightly different sizes. I tried to post a pic of one I did this way but guess the file was too large. Guess I will have to figure out how to post pics.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:09 AM

Unhappy blocks not the same size, what to do?

I am doing a block of the month club. Blocks of course are to be 12 1/2 finished. I am on the fourth block and just finished it. Cut everything correct but there are so many seams in this block that obviously my 1/4 seams are off. My block is measuring 12 inches or close to 12 1/8 to 12 1/4. I really do not want to make a new block, this was a difficult one. Is this going to work out OK in the end? I am a novice quilter and need your advice. Thanks everyone.
Oh Boy! Do I know how you feel!! I was trying to take part in a block swap on one of my sm lists and it was a Disappearing 9 patch block, using Civil War repros. And it HAD to be the right size because it would be put together with other people's blocks. Try as I could I could NOT get it right....it would end up 1/4" or more off. I finally gave up but I loved the block I'd made so kept it and decided I'd just make enough blocks for my own little quilt! I also got a couple of things online that are supposed to help make SCANT 1/4" seams.....but haven't tried them yet. That was the last swap I tried on that list. I'd done other swaps earlier but they were simpler blocks and didn't have so many seams.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

Most times the block cannot be trimmed a smaller size because points will be cut off and if a border or sashing is sewn on, even a coping strip, there is not enough seam allowance to keep the points. This is what frustrates me. If you have points on the edges of the unfinshed block, there has to be a seam allowance to allow the points to stay sharp. I have taken blocks apart in the middle and adjusted the size that way.

Forgot to say many times when a block has lots of pieces I will sew using a 1/8 seam allowance on every other seam. It works for me to have the fudge room.

Last edited by BellaBoo; 07-16-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:46 AM

If necessary, until you gain more experience, draw the 1/4" seam line on each piece. Tedious, I know, but when I was a rank beginner, I could not eyeball the seam allowance and 1/4" piecing feet were not available. Also, are you hand piecing these blocks, or are you machine piecing? Pin every little interval to keep those pieces in order and starch if you have to. Use a little piece of fabric to start sewing on (Fons and Porter) and then slide your seam underneath. This helps to guide the small pieces smoothly under the needle and don't forget to use a skewer or pointed tool to guide the pieces under the needle.