Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
blocks not the same size, what to do? >

blocks not the same size, what to do?

blocks not the same size, what to do?

Old 07-16-2012, 12:22 PM

In that case, talk to someone in the group who is experienced and ask her to verify that the blocks are really accurate. It happens more than you think. Quilt patterns in books and newspapers used to be horribly inaccurate. The easiest way to see if any block is accurate is to redraft it on at least 4 to the inch graph paper. Another tip is to NOT watch the needle while it goes up and down. Watch where the fabric goes under the presser foot at a 1/4 inch mark. You can use a small stack of Post-It Notes or a permanent marker as a guide. Measure from the center of the needle out a 1/4 inch. That's where the cut edge of the fabric should be when it goes under the presser foot. And keep your at least two fingers on your left hand together and hold the left side of the fabric as it moves through the presser foot.
Good luck, we've all been there. It takes time to be accurate, so don't give up.
SandyQuilter
Old 07-16-2012, 12:23 PM

I don't know any new quilter who didn't spend as much time with her seam ripper as she did with her sewing machine. I'm new, and I'm doing a "Block of the month" and my blocks are supposed to be 12 1/2", and they are averaging between 12 1/4" and 12 3/4", and I'm doing a lot of whining. My Darling Hubby Unit listens patiently, and then quietly notes that my "points" are lining up, my blocks are meeting up correctly, and in fact, my blocks look pretty darn good! So I have a problem with seams. I am not perfect -- yet! I whined to the Quilting Board. They were more sympathetic.

Try getting some graph paper, putting it under your needle, and then moving it so your needle comes down just to the RIGHT of the 1/4" mark. Then use blue painter's tape, or border guards, or whatever you need to mark that "scant 1/4" border" so you are guiding your fabric to exactly the right place under the needle. I was trying to use a 1/4" foot, and it wasn't working. I was too focused on what was happening right at the foot, and not paying attention to how I was feeding the fabric into the needle. And I really needed that "scant" 1/4". My next two blocks came out at 12 1/2", right on. Not perfect blocks, but gee, I was happier.

Becoming a quilter is hard work, or so I've discovered. But there is nothing else in the world that compares with the joy, the creativity, the sheer pleasure in this work. Am I addicted? You bet!

Don't give up! You'll get it!
Old 07-16-2012, 05:59 PM

Keep going! You are not in over your head and once you finish you will be so happy and excited that you'll want to start another quilt immediately. Remember, while you are ripping out seams you are also learning. It took me over a year to get my 1/4" seams even close.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:10 PM

I am on my very first quilt ever and I am doing it all by hand. I am just starting out in easy 4" squares. I do two of each for a total of 24 squares. Then I connect all of those squares. Now I am connecting the rows of 24 squares and doing 12 rows at a time. I am finding that a few of mine are not exact and I can pull just a little to get the seams to line up. One square I did need to cut down and re do it, plus I put one square on backwards! I am just going to keep going because some of them are not off by that far. I am trying to secure the corners as I go, so there is no spacing in each corner.
What kind of design are you doing?
Old 07-18-2012, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by mommabear62 View Post
No the pattern is not online. I joined a quilting guild (neighbor convinced me to join) and one of the ladies is designing the blocks herself. I really think I have gotten in over my head. I keep thinking things will get easier as I proceed but I continue to rip out and resew as nothing ever seems to work out. Maybe quilting is not for me.
Don't quit! If it gets to be too much, put this aside and try something simpler to help you feel better. You do not have to stay in this quilting club or you can opt out of the project. But continue to explore quilting. Go to a quilt shop an talk to the gals there about doing a simple quilt that you can enjoy. Tae a class or do whatever you want!