Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bobbin work >

Bobbin work

Bobbin work

Old 10-26-2010, 02:05 PM

Has anyone done this, is it hard to learn
Old 10-26-2010, 02:09 PM

I've done it a lot and it's very easy to do. Basically you hand-wind your bobbin with your yarn/thread/cord/etc, put in so it does NOT go thru the tension then stitch your fabri from the wrong side. you can do fancy stitches, alto simple is better...I've used various sizes of zigzags, etc, but even straight stitching comes out looking good.

It's easier to do on a top-load or drop-in bobbin than on a front-load bobbin.

I've used metallic threads, hand embroidery threads, silk ribbon, light yarns, etc.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:22 PM

are there any books that you recommend on the topic
Old 10-26-2010, 04:51 PM

haven't paid any attention to books, tho I'm sure there are some out there. I learned it in a class and got experience doing in on the class project. It's almost too simple to need a book for it...Here are two videos I found about it. In the second one, she explains the difference between the front load and top load, or drop-in bobbin. she shows that you need a separate bobbin case for bobbin work, and that may not be necessary for the drop-in.

PM me with any questions you may have and I'll try to answer them....it really is easy to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH-AR...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MaOW...eature=related
Old 10-26-2010, 06:22 PM
Power Poster

Would you post some pics of your work. I've never seen any and it sounds so interesting.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:32 PM

I am too chicken to change the tension on my only bobbin case and for that I haven't try it, but I have learned to do it. One recommendation I found very useful was to, if you want to sew one particular area of the quilt either quilting or straight stitch, sew it first with the top of the quilt facing up, using water soluble thread on the top (you can use regular thread on the top to save the thread). Turn it them upside down to do the bobbin thread and you will be able to see exactly where you need to be sewing. Good luck.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:48 PM

I just went to my sewing shop's seminar on this very thing.
I was amazed at the variety of thread now for embroidery or bobbin work
The main thing that she shared was to have a second bobbin case, one that is either a special "low tension" bobbin case or one that you loosen the tension yourself depending on the thread being used. You label that bobbin case for embroidery threads and label the other one "regular" so you won't mess up the tension of your regular bobbin case.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:48 AM

if you have a drop in bobbin, you don't need a separate bobbin case...

I am on extended travel right now, and don't have my work available to photo and post, If I get some time, I'll do up some samples and post...
Old 11-12-2010, 06:52 PM

My machine has a drop in bobbin and they do actually have a kit with a different bobbin cases specially designed for this
Old 11-12-2010, 08:34 PM

Bobbin work is kind of fun. I bought a second bobbin case for my front loading machine. I was not going to mess up the tension on my regular one. You will need to hand wind most of your stretchy and bulky threads otherwise plastic bobbins (metal will do this too) tend to distort and not fit correctly (at least mine didn't).