Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
border help needed >

border help needed

border help needed

Old 12-16-2010, 07:20 AM

I have just added a border to a wall hanging. When I ironed it it seemed like there was too much materiel. Looks like a ruffle. I plan on taking it apart but wondered if anyone had a thought so maybe I won't get the same result again. Thanks, Lisa B.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:29 AM

That happened to me with a binding once & I found that I was stretching the binding while sewing it on. Maybe you could try starching the border before sewing it back on.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:33 AM

Wish me luck. It'll be a drag taking it apart and having it happen again. Thanks for the suggestion. Hoping it'll do the trick. ;)
Old 12-16-2010, 07:50 AM

When I add my borders, I always measure, measure and measure. What is the carpenters rule 'measure twice cut once'! That should be a quilters rules. Measure in in multiple places, then take the average of them. Then cut, pin to quilt top, ends first, middle, etc, etc. Because I pinned it, the odds of stretching the fabric is reduced.

I'm sorry if I am 'preaching', but I have seen some beautiful quilts 'destroyed' because the quilter did not take the extra time, their borders are just 'waving' to everyone. Some times when we get to the border . . . it is like almost finished . . rush and it's done.

Good luck
Old 12-16-2010, 08:08 AM
Banned

borders should be measured at least in the center of the quilt. edges of the quilt tend to stretch. If larger than measure at more than center and average the inches.
Then cut the two side or two end the same. Pin pin the border in place and ease in or stretch a bit as needed so sides and or ends are the same.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:25 AM

Measure the quilt before you cut the borders.

Measure length, measure the middle, and measure the sides of your quilt. Average out the measurement and use that measure to cut the length of your borders. Pin the borders on starting at the middle and then the ends, and then finish pinning easing in fabric fullness if any.

Then measure across the top of your quilt, across the middle, and across the bottom, including the side borders already put on. Average your measurements and use that number to cut your top and bottom borders. Again, pin border on center first, ends next and ease in extra fullness if any.

This method work very well and borders should lay pretty flat.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:30 AM

And then sew the border on with it on top of the quilt top. Most machines tend to ease in the bottom just a bit. Oops, you don't want the borders eased into the quilt.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:52 AM
Cyn

I thinlk that measuring is the key although I'm one of those who rushes to finish and fudges on this too many times.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:40 AM
Power Poster

If you just sew a border strip on without measuring and pinning first, you almost always get that ruffle effect. Too much border gets sewn onto the edge.

To solve the problem, measure through the middle of the quilt and cut the border to that length. Fold both the quilt and the border into halves and quarters, and pin generously matching edges, centers, quarters, etc. Only then do you sew, easing the quilt edge if necessary to fit the border.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
If you just sew a border strip on without measuring and pinning first, you almost always get that ruffle effect. Too much border gets sewn onto the edge.

To solve the problem, measure through the middle of the quilt and cut the border to that length. Fold both the quilt and the border into halves and quarters, and pin generously matching edges, centers, quarters, etc. Only then do you sew, easing the quilt edge if necessary to fit the border.

As someone else mentioned, it's a good idea to sew with the border piece next to the feed dogs to lessen the tendency of the border piece to stretch. It also helps to heavily starch the border piece (before cutting, if possible) as this stabilizes the border so it doesn't stretch while sewing.
I never measure. I never have ruffly borders either. I do always pin my borders on starting in the center and pinning out to each end. Then I sew with the border on the top.