Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Boy Did I Mess Up!

The very BEST Christmas ham i ever made was totally screwed up from what the recipe called for. I realized what I had done when the ham was about 3/4 cooked - so I 'fudged' from that point and served the meal. It was a hit with the family. To this day I serve my "Fudged Ham Dinner" every Christmas.

All is not lost - it just might turn out better than expected.

Quote Originally Posted by jemma View Post
    i use painters tape to mark my rulers --leaves no sticky!--but i have to put an arrow to indicate the bulk of fabric--or i still cut the wrong width !!!!!
    I usually do that. But my main problem was that I was supposed to cut on the fold and I cut the fold off. So I ended up with a bunch of small pieces instead of long ones.

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Hope you find a solution that makes you happy. I usually buy more fabric than needed since my mind tends to wander around on its own.

Wow, we are all so similar!!!! Whenever, or when I always do one like that, I think of what my husband would say. "Measure twice, cut once!" Sometimes that is easie said than done, lol.

How about an unplanned opportunity to be unique? Wish I could say I have never been there before - - - - (hee-hee)

Marysewfun
    Marysewfun
    Have a great day!

Yeah, been there, done that !!

I am making DD#2 a Christmas quilt. Christmas themed, not a timely Christmas gift. I have (had...) 36 different pieces of Christmas themed fabric for the face, and she chose the ones she wanted. So, a sampler quilt of various stars. I have books, I can FIND stars in there! Most of them have gone just fine. One of them, sad to say, is both MY mistake and the books mistake. I didn't see that I was looking at a 9" star instead of a 12" star! But, better still, the templates in the book for this particular pattern - don't even make a 9" block, they're just wrong all around. Well, poot! Get out my grids, draft the darned thing, and oh guess what! One of the templates for the 9" block? Fits the 12" block! SERIOUSLY?!? Holy cats. What a MESS! And boy howdy, did I feel stupid when I finally figured out what went wrong, and where.

So, the day after tomorrow, I'll recut my blasted block out. At least I can use the bits I originally cut out a few weeks ago, before I started all my cookies! Hope I have enough of the stripe stuff that I can do the rest of the pieces out of it too!

Great attitude! Post pics.
    Jenel Looney
    Assistant to Susan Mallery
    New York Times bestselling author

It happens to all of us. I have a bunch of strips clipped together for another quilt, as I cut them too small. I kicked myself as I really wanted to use that particular white print as background on the blocks, guess I'll just try to remember to use them in another quilt and pay closer attention when I'm cutting strips in the future. Don't beat yourself up, as nobody is perfect.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast