Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
brand of fabric >

brand of fabric

brand of fabric

Old 09-04-2014, 04:25 PM

Oh my goodness have you girls ever made me an online monster. I've gone through these web sites and can't wait until I go back and pick fabrics out. This is just wonderful and fun. Thank you ever so much. Have a great eve. Marilyn43
Old 09-04-2014, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by marilyn43 View Post
Good morning everyone. Hope you are all doing well this week? I'm wondering when you buy fabric do you get a popular brand name or have you bought some of these off brands? I've been going through the quilting sites this morning and have really liked some of the prints in a off brand fabric. I don't want to spend any money on something I wouldn't keep for myself. Since I can't drive due to my fractured pelvis thought I'd order fabric online plus it will be handy for me this winter. We live in a very small town so have to drive to Sioux City, Iowa or Omaha, Ne. to do shopping, so it would really be nice for the winter to order. How long does it take for your fabric to get to your home? Thanks a bunch. Marilyn43
If I were buying on line, I'd probably stick with a brand I'm familiar with. Once you heal, you can maybe find some of those brands at local stores.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:47 PM
Power Poster

I have ordered many times online, and it sometimes gets to me as fast as 4 or even 3 days. I have never been disappointed in the quality. As to brand names, when I started quilting, I did not know any. I bought what I thought was pretty. Now I realize that I am going to put many hours into something, I should use the best that I can afford.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:01 AM

If, by chance, I purchase a fabric on line that is less than I expected, it goes into my locker hooking/rug making stash. This provides a selection of colors for other crafts.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:45 AM

I have bought fabric on line from a number of different places and have never been disappointed. The main challenge I have is matching things as the colors are not always true on the screen to what the actual fabric is. If you are buying things from a fabric line then that's not a problem but I rarely stick to a fabric line when I'm putting things together. As far as quality and service however I've been pleased. I do have to remember to take the sticky tags off the fabric however. When they go through the washer and dryer - not good!
Old 09-05-2014, 02:51 AM

I just recently discovered Thread Bear Fabrics...they are wonderful! I also use Fat Quarter Shop quite a bit and I order on Etsy a lot(have found some absolutely wonderful sellers on there). I try to support the local fabric shops when I can...but, all but one are an hour's drive away and with gas prices, time constraints, etc it just isn't possible to get to them often. When you order online..be sure and do a google check with the larger shops to see if they have coupon codes. FQS frequently does...most recently 20% off total order...for those not familiar with them they also do a Flash Sale every day around 10 that lasts for 24 hours. I also do google searches for "sale or clearance" on whatever fabric I am looking for. Sometimes I come up with some bargains.

Last edited by lizzieshome; 09-05-2014 at 02:58 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:01 AM

FatQuarterShop.com is my favorite. If the fabric they are selling is not quilt shop quality, they tell you in the sample. An example would be some children's popular prints from Camelot. These fabrics are popular and Ok to use but just not quilt shop quality. Great website, good customer service, and at 10:00 am every morning they have a flash sale which is usually a 50% off sale. I buy most of my fabric from them!
Old 09-05-2014, 03:07 AM

Oh...thank you for this...I live in East Texas...will have to add this shop to my list to visit when in that area!

Originally Posted by charlottequilts View Post
It seems like there are fabric companies being added all the time, and I wonder about them, too. I have had a lot of success lately with GRS Creations in TX. They show all the fabrics from a line together, which my LQS doesn't do.

Hugs,
Charlotte
Old 09-05-2014, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by lizzieshome View Post
Oh...thank you for this...I live in East Texas...will have to add this shop to my list to visit when in that area!
You're very welcome. Another shop is Martha's Quilting Corner in Gatesville. (I have no idea where that is.). I was desperately trying to find something, and she was very helpful - responding quickly and personally to emails. Cutting was generous. I would definitely order from her again.

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 09-05-2014, 06:58 AM

I love Craftsy sales. I always receive great quality fabrics at a great price. They ship within a day of placing the order.