Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brand name fabric and quality >

Brand name fabric and quality

Brand name fabric and quality

Old 08-05-2014, 06:13 AM

It's been my experience (or from others who've shared stories) that all fabric manufacturers sometimes have less than great quality fabric/supplies. Even when you get something from a brand name, there's no guarantee it'll be "as advertised".
Old 08-05-2014, 06:14 AM

I find that I check each fabric and if I like it, I buy it. So far I haven't had any problems. I think each has to find what works best for them.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:37 AM

feeling the fabric tells you a lot no matter who's name is on it
Old 08-05-2014, 09:06 AM

I have talked by phone with representatives of three major fabric manufacturers and they agreed that they did not make lesser quality fabrics for retailers. They all cited the expense of having different processes, machines, etc., for such an enterprise, but more important, since their names are on the selvage, they could not afford to risk their reputations by making substandard products for mass markets over which they have no control.

Each of the representatives also told me that people who believe they make and sell lesser products to certain retailers will never be convinced otherwise despite what they are told and what good common sense would tell them.

I buy fabric by the way it feels, called "hand," and sometimes it is inexpensive fabric and sometimes is has a premium price. You can read about "hand" on the Internet and you can Google information about fabric companies and make inquiries of them on their Websites. froggyintexas

Originally Posted by Amarillo19 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think some fabric manufacturers make different quality fabrics depending on which store will sell them, i.e., Walmart, Joann's, LQS.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:11 AM

I buy my fabric based on my choice of colours and if I like how it feels. I have seen expensive fabric that I don't like the feel of and fheap fabric I think is wonderful and vice versa, I just go with what I like, without setting too much emphasis on brand.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Pennyhal View Post
It is my understanding that mfg companies will make cheaper fabric in the same line for sale in certain stores. I often wondered why when I went to one store and the fabric was fabulous, but at another store, it was lousy. I think what may be happening is that fabric is getting very costly to buy, so the mfg might be making fabric with lesser thread count so that they can sell if for less. The cotton crop has not done well these past few years which is pushing cotton costs up.
My opinion only.....I'm going to compare fabric with canned goods. The "store" brand versus the name brand...I was told, although I have no way to verify it, that in regard to canned goods, the "store" brand is actually a name brand canned good using the store brand label which the store pays for. That way the manufacturer gets paid for the name brand as well as the store brand so he's making money on both ends by making his product available for those who have money and those who do not. If this is true, maybe that's what happens with fabric manufacturers as well. Does anyone know if this is true?
Old 08-06-2014, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
I agree with Amarillo. I heard years ago that fabric companies did "runs" of fabric. The first run was their top of the line and they ran only so many yards. Then, they did a second run for less expensive fabric--as the plates might not give as crisp a design or the dye might not be as bright as the first run. I don't know if this is still true or not.
This myth started as marketing to buy fabric from quilt shops to insure getting quilt shop quality and not runs of less quality. Many fabric reps did more then their fair share to promote this idea. That mindset about fabric is still being marketed that way now. I don't pay much attention to anyone that says only quilt shops have the best fabric.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Wonnie View Post
My opinion only.....I'm going to compare fabric with canned goods. The "store" brand versus the name brand...I was told, although I have no way to verify it, that in regard to canned goods, the "store" brand is actually a name brand canned good using the store brand label which the store pays for. That way the manufacturer gets paid for the name brand as well as the store brand so he's making money on both ends by making his product available for those who have money and those who do not. If this is true, maybe that's what happens with fabric manufacturers as well. Does anyone know if this is true?
I don't know what your source was for the store brand info you gave, but store brands are definitely not 'relabeled' brand name goods. Store brands are more comparable to generics in the drug world. They are made by large manufacturers, food or drug, that specialize in making generic and/or store brand products. I have several friends that work at such a factory in Michigan. You're far more apt to have two different store brand peaches or aspirin be identical then to have either be the same as DelMonte or Bayer.

I put no faith at all in the myth of several grades of a fabric being made to be sold to different stores. Nor do I have any faith in the idea that large manufacturers sell off their test runs of fabric. It's far more likely that part of those runs stay on 'file' for future reference, with any excess going to employees at deep discount. A test run is just that, a small test, not major production. But just as froggy said, those who believe the myth will never be convinced otherwise.

Jusge fabric quality for yourself on a case by case basis. It's the only way to be 100% sure of what you are getting.