Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brother pq1500 >

Brother pq1500

Brother pq1500

Old 04-05-2017, 02:40 AM

Thank you to all who replied. The needle was the problem. I quilted for 2 hours after problem was fixed and never had a hitch. Should get the quilting finished today. So nice to have you here.....my cyber buddies....can get answers so fast!
Cheers.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:47 AM

Try using a top stitch needle and make sure the quilt is completely supported so there is no drag.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:09 PM

I have had that machine since approx 2001, when I first bought it there was a group list for it that has been long gone but there were some great tips, the best one was from someone who knew a Brother tech , he said for quilting, free motion, use a stretch needle, the longer scarf makes a difference with how the thread lays. I have used the Stretch Needles, size 14 since, have had no problems, but also learned to change needles often. It is a great machine!
Old 04-06-2017, 01:56 AM

Thanks for the tips, salederer and Marie. Good to know these little things that help make the quilting experience better.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Maire View Post
I have had that machine since approx 2001, when I first bought it there was a group list for it that has been long gone but there were some great tips, the best one was from someone who knew a Brother tech , he said for quilting, free motion, use a stretch needle, the longer scarf makes a difference with how the thread lays. I have used the Stretch Needles, size 14 since, have had no problems, but also learned to change needles often. It is a great machine!
I just wonder if each machine has its own peculiarities. I have recently tried the stretch needle size 14 and it breaks thread even worse! I tried a universal, no good, the ones recommended for the machines (HL x5 I think) and those don't work. Right now I have a big microtex top stitch and while not perfect is the best so far. I do have some jeans needles and a different brand of polyester thread. More tries with more combinations of this thread and that needle. But when it works it is a delight.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:56 AM

I have this machine for over 10 years now....never took it to service.....its a horse working machine......I always listen to it and recognize when something is causing problems.....I love this machine..cannot live without it...
Old 04-06-2017, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ania755 View Post
I have this machine for over 10 years now....never took it to service.....its a horse working machine......I always listen to it and recognize when something is causing problems.....I love this machine..cannot live without it...
and if you do FMQ is there a thread or needle combo it likes better than others?
Old 04-06-2017, 05:13 PM

I have this machine as well and you might try using only the first and third holes on the upper thread guides in lieu of all 3. Also if you use a ruler foot you will find thread shedding problems and you may need to add a thread guide to keep the thread quided into the scarf of the needle.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oreo1912 View Post
I have this machine as well and you might try using only the first and third holes on the upper thread guides in lieu of all 3. Also if you use a ruler foot you will find thread shedding problems and you may need to add a thread guide to keep the thread quided into the scarf of the needle.
can you post a picture of an added thread guide?
Old 04-06-2017, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I just wonder if each machine has its own peculiarities. I have recently tried the stretch needle size 14 and it breaks thread even worse! I tried a universal, no good, the ones recommended for the machines (HL x5 I think) and those don't work. Right now I have a big microtex top stitch and while not perfect is the best so far. I do have some jeans needles and a different brand of polyester thread. More tries with more combinations of this thread and that needle. But when it works it is a delight.
That is sad to hear, I wonder if there is another problem, the tension? Or maybe a small broken piece of thread hanging up in the threading path or bobbin area, I've had that happen. You should not have that much problem with the needles you have tried. Floss the threading path with a dollar bill, recheck the bobbin area, add another drop of oil, do you have it threaded thru all 3 holes of that thingy above the tension dial? From past experience a tiny piece of caught broken thread in the bobbin race is the first suspect. Maybe it needs to be serviced.