Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What I've Learned So Far With My New Brother  PQ1500 >

What I've Learned So Far With My New Brother PQ1500

What I've Learned So Far With My New Brother PQ1500

Old 03-27-2011, 11:55 AM
  #1  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
lalaland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Yakima, WA
Posts: 2,430
Default

I had posted earlier with a few questions and some of you also had questions, and issues, and here's what I found out compliments of Brother, other members, web questions and answers, and working on the machine.

The thread cutter cuts real short, and the bobbin thread is usually "lost". You can bring it back up by turning the wheel, or you can leave it where it is. When you start to sew, it will be there. Doesn't matter if you are doing regular sewing or FMQ'g, it will be there.

Brother suggested I remove the throat plate and clean out any debris, clean the bobbin casing, and the felt liner. I did all that and it still cuts the thread short. I wouldn't bother to take it to your local repair shop, I think it's just the way it is with this machine, although I am aware that some people don't have this problem, it seems most do.

When FMQ'g, I have found that you don't have to coordinate the speed at which you move the fabric and the speed of the machine. As a matter of fact, you can have the machine on full speed, at 1500 stitches a minute, and move your fabric slowly, and you will still have beautiful stitches underneath, no loops or "stutters". This is the case whether you have your machine on a frame, or a tabletop.

It took time and patience, but not a lot, to get this machine "balanced" but it is super easy, and once it's balanced, it stays that way whether you are FMQ'g, or sewing. When I got the machine, the bobbin tension was WAY off, getting it right solved most of the problem. You have to balance your tension (thread tension dial), your bobbin, and your presser foot pressure. After that, the only adjustment you have to make is to your presser foot pressure when you change the position of your feed dogs but the dial is color coded, which makes it super easy.

I love the bobbin casing being on the side because I FMQ with the machine facing me so the bobbin casing is also facing me. It is tricky though to remove it. It releases from right to left and I'm used to left to right. At the shows there's always a vendor selling tools so I got one of these, have no idea what it's used for, but it's great for pulling the bobbin lever forward so I can get a grip on it.

Some people have problems with needle breakage, especially if the machine is on a frame. That happens when you are moving the fabric faster than the machine is going, the tugging breaks the needle. And some people have problems with thread shredding. To solve that problem, use a topstitch needle, 80/12 and 90/14 are both good. They are sturdier and they have a bigger eye. You can use Schmitz needles, they work fine. I use the titanium coated ones by Superior just because they last longer. They work great on embroidery machines too, no more thread shredding, even finer threads. I usually use the 90/14 on the Brother and the 80/12 on the embroidery machine.

I'm really happy with this machine.

tool I use to remove the bobbin casing
attachment-175938.jpe
lalaland is offline  
Old 03-27-2011, 12:08 PM
  #2  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 11,375
Default

Thanks, Good information! My cutter does cut too short and it isn't there when I start sewing again. I've tried again and again... It didn't do this in the first couple of years and it needs to be adjusted, but I can't afford to take it to the repairman so I just chain stitch. It isn't that big of a deal for me.
Sadiemae is offline  
Old 03-27-2011, 12:25 PM
  #3  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
lalaland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Yakima, WA
Posts: 2,430
Default

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Thanks, Good information! My cutter does cut too short and it isn't there when I start sewing again. I've tried again and again... It didn't do this in the first couple of years and it needs to be adjusted, but I can't afford to take it to the repairman so I just chain stitch. It isn't that big of a deal for me.
Here's the email I received from the Brother tech department.

Dear Brother Customer,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us.

Please remove the needle plate and bobbin case and clean the machine of any excess lint and thread. Also, make sure the felt piece on the bobbin case is clean.

I'm sure you've done all that but thought I would let you know exactly what they said. Other people have this problem as well and, for the time being, by thread is engaging but that may change in the future, who knows?
lalaland is offline  
Old 03-27-2011, 01:14 PM
  #4  
Power Poster
 
BellaBoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Front row
Posts: 14,648
Default

I have this machine. I was very frustrated with the thread cutter cutting my thread too short. The top thread would pop right out of the needle. The unknowledgable dealer (now bankrupt) was no help at all. I quit using the thread cutter. Then one poster here told me to not thread through the three thread guide holes at the top of the machine, only use one, and no more short thread when using the cutter for me! The bobbin thread being short never bothered me, it doesn't hinder my sewing at all. I have to make sure the bobbin is in the case unwinding the right way and that makes a big difference in how it cuts too.

I cannot figure out how to use the needle threader! I gave up on that for good. Oh I found that this set of feet and the 5mm makes a perfect scant 1/4" seam for piecing. I have no idea why it isn't sold as the perfect 1/4" foot, I'd never have bought it for the purpose it's sold for. A friend bought a box of Brother feet at auction (from bankrupt dealer inventory) and gave me a set of these. I would have bought it at full price had I known about it. http://www.brother-usa.com/Homesewin...essoryID=SA170

This machine is great for FMQ.
BellaBoo is offline  
Old 03-27-2011, 01:50 PM
  #5  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
lalaland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Yakima, WA
Posts: 2,430
Default

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I have this machine. I was very frustrated with the thread cutter cutting my thread too short. The top thread would pop right out of the needle. The unknowledgable dealer (now bankrupt) was no help at all. I quit using the thread cutter. Then one poster here told me to not thread through the three thread guide holes at the top of the machine, only use one, and no more short thread when using the cutter for me! The bobbin thread being short never bothered me, it doesn't hinder my sewing at all. I have to make sure the bobbin is in the case unwinding the right way and that makes a big difference in how it cuts too.

I cannot figure out how to use the needle threader! I gave up on that for good. Oh I found that this set of feet and the 5mm makes a perfect scant 1/4" seam for piecing. I have no idea why it isn't sold as the perfect 1/4" foot, I'd never have bought it for the purpose it's sold for. A friend bought a box of Brother feet at auction (from bankrupt dealer inventory) and gave me a set of these. I would have bought it at full price had I known about it. http://www.brother-usa.com/Homesewin...essoryID=SA170

This machine is great for FMQ.
Good Info on threading for those having a problem with the top thread. I think there was someone on the original post that was struggling with this.

The key to the needle threader is making sure your needle is in the highest position, and getting your thread, from right to left, around that tiny plastic pin under the threader. It is a pain, but once you master it you're home free. If you switch to, or are using the topstitch needles, the thread hole is so big it's super simple to thread manually.
lalaland is offline  
Old 03-27-2011, 03:22 PM
  #6  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The middle of an IL cornfield
Posts: 7,014
Default

I have this machine and love it! I'm embarassed to say I never noticed the feed dog settings and the foot pressure settings are color coded!! Maybe I should make mine match!

I love the needle threader and totally ignore the little plastic pin. I just can't get the thread around there. I just loop my thread around the hook and pull it through.
Lisa_wanna_b_quilter is offline  
Old 04-15-2013, 07:08 PM
  #7  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 115
Default

Has anyone noticed that their tension dial moves when they sew with this machine? Mine is brand new out of the box and I start it on 4 and a few stitches later the tension dialed down to 2.
littledentist is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 12:08 PM
  #8  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1
Default

Mine is doing the same thing! It's 1.5 yrs old. and I LOVE it--except for this! When I adjust it back to "3" the dial continues to move in the same direction I adjusted it. IE I tighten it to "3" then it continues to tighten, so I loosen it back to "3" and it continues to loosen.

I'm driving 45 minutes to my nearest "authorized" repairman, and he can't find anything wrong with it. He's also lecturing me about only using the exact same wright and brand of thread off the spool and on the bobbin.

Could the vibrations from the machine cause the knob to move? It was suggest to cut up a yoga mat and put it under the machine to absorb the vibrations--if that's the problem.

I'm tempted to take it somewhere else but don't want to void the warranty.
Theodora500 is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 03:55 PM
  #9  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
lalaland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Yakima, WA
Posts: 2,430
Default

I've not had this problem. You can go to the Brother website and either email them your problem or call and talk to a technician who may be able to help you with this problem. You can avoid a lot of repairman fixes by calling Brother first and speaking to one of their guys. I'm sure it won't be the first time they have heard of this happening. They are experts and they are free!

I use the rubber shelf liner that you can get at the dollar store under my regular sewing machine to keep it stable. That may also help with the vibrations.

Originally Posted by Theodora500 View Post
Mine is doing the same thing! It's 1.5 yrs old. and I LOVE it--except for this! When I adjust it back to "3" the dial continues to move in the same direction I adjusted it. IE I tighten it to "3" then it continues to tighten, so I loosen it back to "3" and it continues to loosen.

I'm driving 45 minutes to my nearest "authorized" repairman, and he can't find anything wrong with it. He's also lecturing me about only using the exact same wright and brand of thread off the spool and on the bobbin.

Could the vibrations from the machine cause the knob to move? It was suggest to cut up a yoga mat and put it under the machine to absorb the vibrations--if that's the problem.

I'm tempted to take it somewhere else but don't want to void the warranty.
lalaland is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 03:56 PM
  #10  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
lalaland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Yakima, WA
Posts: 2,430
Default

I've not had this problem. You can go to the Brother website and either email them your problem or call and talk to a technician who may be able to help you with this problem. You can avoid a lot of repairman fixes by calling Brother first and speaking to one of their guys. I'm sure it won't be the first time they have heard of this happening. They are experts and they are free!


Originally Posted by littledentist View Post
Has anyone noticed that their tension dial moves when they sew with this machine? Mine is brand new out of the box and I start it on 4 and a few stitches later the tension dialed down to 2.
lalaland is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
kiffie2413
Main
11
04-21-2014 04:31 PM
barbo117
Main
1
03-28-2014 02:46 AM
kiffie2413
Main
16
07-31-2012 10:01 AM
CAJAMK
Main
7
09-17-2011 07:22 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter


SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.