Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brother pq1500 >

Brother pq1500

Brother pq1500

Old 04-06-2017, 07:12 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Maire View Post
That is sad to hear, I wonder if there is another problem, the tension? Or maybe a small broken piece of thread hanging up in the threading path or bobbin area, I've had that happen. You should not have that much problem with the needles you have tried. Floss the threading path with a dollar bill, recheck the bobbin area, add another drop of oil, do you have it threaded thru all 3 holes of that thingy above the tension dial? From past experience a tiny piece of caught broken thread in the bobbin race is the first suspect. Maybe it needs to be serviced.
well it was serviced when I got it by the fellow I trust. From a lot of internet research and talking to quilting friends and reading Leah Day's site I think some machines have their own issues within the brand and model. I have done everything you suggested more than once. Tension is fine. Beautiful stitch. Breakage happens mostly when I move the sandwich from right to left. I can't feel any burrs on anything. I clean and oil regularly. I take the needle plate off and can't see anything. The thread cutter isn't anywhere near the needle. I've tried a lot of combinations of two holes or three holes or going from front to back and back to front. I don't think I am pulling it and I have lots of tables around for support. Maybe I'm doing something I'm not aware of. One of my new quilting friends said big cones work better than spools and to try and put the thread up higher than the machine. I'm almost ready tonquilt my next top and will see how that goes. I did get a Juki open toe foot and I think that helps somewhat too

I do appreciate all the suggestions and I am hopeful I will figure out the magic combination!!
Old 04-07-2017, 04:01 AM

Try angling your piece slightly when you need to stitch sideways rather than going directly sideways.

The difficulty may have to do with the location of the vertical bobbin on the side of the machine. I have a PQ1500s and have noticed that my machine will sometimes break threads if I am stitching sideways (can't remember if it's right to left or left to right) on a shape that requires more than just a few stitches. I can usually solve the problem by simply angling my piece a bit so that when I need to move the piece sideways I do so on a slight angle rather than a direct right to left line. It doesn't need to be much of an angle and doesn't require turning the quilt, just a quick repositioning of the section I'm currently working on.

According to Amy Johnson (who uses a Janome 8900 with a horizontal drop in bobbin at the front of the needle plate) the machines she uses will sometimes break thread during Fmq if the sandwich is being moved directly backwards. She mentioned something about the location of the bobbin having to do with it, her solution in that case is to slightly angle the piece when she needs to stitch backwards.

Rob
Old 04-07-2017, 10:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Try angling your piece slightly when you need to stitch sideways rather than going directly sideways.

The difficulty may have to do with the location of the vertical bobbin on the side of the machine. I have a PQ1500s and have noticed that my machine will sometimes break threads if I am stitching sideways (can't remember if it's right to left or left to right) on a shape that requires more than just a few stitches. I can usually solve the problem by simply angling my piece a bit so that when I need to move the piece sideways I do so on a slight angle rather than a direct right to left line. It doesn't need to be much of an angle and doesn't require turning the quilt, just a quick repositioning of the section I'm currently working on.

According to Amy Johnson (who uses a Janome 8900 with a horizontal drop in bobbin at the front of the needle plate) the machines she uses will sometimes break thread during Fmq if the sandwich is being moved directly backwards. She mentioned something about the location of the bobbin having to do with it, her solution in that case is to slightly angle the piece when she needs to stitch backwards.

Rob
Thanks Rob. That makes a lot of sense. Will give it a try
Old 04-07-2017, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Maire View Post
I have had that machine since approx 2001, when I first bought it there was a group list for it that has been long gone but there were some great tips
There is an active and helpful group on Yahoo. Search for PQ1500. One of the best benefits is the downloadable service manual for that machine.

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I have recently tried the stretch needle size 14 and it breaks thread even worse! I tried a universal, no good, the ones recommended for the machines (HL x5 I think) and those don't work. Right now I have a big microtex top stitch and while not perfect is the best so far.
How funny, it seems you have tried every needle except for the topstitch needle. Try it. It has a larger eye and a longer scarf, both of which mean less stress and friction on the thread.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
There is an active and helpful group on Yahoo. Search for PQ1500. One of the best benefits is the downloadable service manual for that machine.

How funny, it seems you have tried every needle except for the topstitch needle. Try it. It has a larger eye and a longer scarf, both of which mean less stress and friction on the thread.
whoops. I have tried the top stitch one too. I have quite the selection of needles now. I signed up for the yahoo group and got accepted I think but can't get into it. Is there a hint to finish the process?
Old 04-07-2017, 05:50 PM

I signed up for the yahoo group and got accepted I think but can't get into it. Is there a hint to finish the process?
Gosh, it's been so long since I signed up I'm not sure what to tell you. I do remember that it took a couple of days to be approved. Have you been approved yet? Maybe send the moderator a message?
Old 04-07-2017, 05:54 PM
Power Poster

Gosh, it's been so long since I signed up I'm not sure what to tell you. I do remember that it took a couple of days to be approved. Have you been approved yet? Maybe send the moderator a message?
Yes I've been approved and get emails now and then, but can't find out how to log in. I keep getting the you are accepted screen and then I am supposed to click on something I don't get.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:23 PM

Yes I've been approved and get emails now and then, but can't find out how to log in. I keep getting the you are accepted screen and then I am supposed to click on something I don't get.
You are supposed to click on something you don't get, as in an email?

I usually log in to the main Yahoo page, then at the very top of the page I click on "groups". On the left hand side of the page you will see a list of all the Yahoo groups you're a member of. You should be able to click on the PQ1500 group.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:25 PM
Power Poster

I usually log in to the main Yahoo page, then at the very top of the page I click on "groups". On the left hand side of the page you will see a list of all the Yahoo groups you're a member of. You should be able to click on the PQ1500 group.
thanks. Will give it a try tomorrow.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:52 PM
Power Poster

i contacted the moderator and she sent me an invitation and now I am in!! And yesterday and today the machine cooperated. Thanks for the help.