Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Brother SQ 9050

I have the SQ 9000 and like Carla I discovered the SQ 9000 doesn't really like heavy fabrics like denim. So I use my Janome 11543 for fabrics like that.

I would get the one you looked at, it's well worth the money. And just because it doesn't come from your LQS doesn't mean it's inferior either. Just less expensive.

The Brother Company doesn't make "inferior" machines to sell a places such as Wal Mart and another machine for LQS or Sewing centers. I think that dealer just wants to sell you a machine that does the same thing for triple the price.
    Last edited by Chasing Hawk; 08-30-2012 at 01:24 PM.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

I have the sq900[0]? from wal-mart. I only use it for fmq so far and love it. For that little extra machine when needed, I think i's great.

Thank you for all the information. I was looking at the Brother sq 9050 also as a 2nd machine. I have a Bernina 900 my mom gave me. It has helped me make my decision to purchase it.
    Live each day as if it is your last,
    Tomorrow is promised to no one.

I know this is a true statement. It is just like John Deere tractors are now sold at Home Depot. They are a lot cheaper then the dealers, but the quality is not the same. That is the only way they can compete with a cheaper model, is by making it cheaper. But that should not stop you if you like the machine and are aware of that fact. Not everyone can afford to go to the dealer. But in the long run the dealer one will most likely last a lot longer. You get what you pay for.

I have the SQ9000 since July of 2010. I love it. I wonder if they just want you to get it from them.
    Anne L. Fulton

Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake.

I don't have that exact machine but have 3 lower end cheapy mechanical Brothers and they are little workhorses. Not fussy about anything and with a nice stitch.
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    I have one, and love it. I do a lot of traveling, and I wanted a light-weight machine to take with me, and this definitely fits the bill. Don't know why your dealer would say that, unless it is just to get your money, but I have had mine for about 3 years. Did have a problem once, when I kept getting bird's nests on the back, and skipped stitiches. Took it apart, and found a wad of lint about the size of a quarter. Once I cleaned that out, it worked great, again. Can't blame the machine for something that was my fault

I just bought this machine last weekend and so far I absolutely adore it. I was a little uncomfortable buying a Brother since I had heard they weren't reliable, broke easily etc. So I opted for the 3 year Wal-mart warranty. Cost me $19 and I think it is well worth it for the peace of mind. (Plus I ordered it online - site to store - it was there same day and I saved $20!)

I know I am late in replying to this post as I just happened on it. I absolutely love my 9050! I have had it a little over 2 years and it works like a charm. I also have a Baby Lock quilting machine that is almost identical to this Brother and paid $1000 for it. The reason I purchased the Brother was I had so many problems, repairs and just trouble with the Baby Lock. I wanted an inexpensive machine that worked hard and I found it in the 9050. I have made over 20 quilts with this machine and never a problem. I give it two thumbs up!
    Mimi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2