Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
brown Bargello quilts finished....now which way should go up? >

brown Bargello quilts finished....now which way should go up?

brown Bargello quilts finished....now which way should go up?

Old 06-28-2014, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
Beautiful quilts. How are you going to quilt them?
Actually, they are already quilted. I am one of those rare quilters who prefers not to have the quilting showing...at least on my own quilts. So I have SID about every 6 inches (or so....). They are on the beds to stay.

Dina
Old 06-28-2014, 12:30 PM

Ah Dina- you did yourself proud!!! So this week I am going to take the plunge and start cutting out the quilt for my son. Somehow I have to increase the Northcott pattern you recommended to me - just don't want to put on a 6" border. I guess I will make a 3rd strip set and just see what happens. Any ideas, dear heart?
Old 06-28-2014, 12:34 PM

Beautiful bargello quilts...either way you lay them on the bed they will be stunning.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:43 PM
Power Poster

I too like the second picture best; not sure why. Wonderful quilts!
Old 06-28-2014, 01:39 PM

Like the second picture best as the brown seems to point to the head of the bed. And as mentioned, the mirror imaging shows wonderfully. Either way, nice job.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:54 PM

Love them both ways... They are amazing ,,,

hugs

Caroline
Old 06-28-2014, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Marsh View Post
Ah Dina- you did yourself proud!!! So this week I am going to take the plunge and start cutting out the quilt for my son. Somehow I have to increase the Northcott pattern you recommended to me - just don't want to put on a 6" border. I guess I will make a 3rd strip set and just see what happens. Any ideas, dear heart?
Well, good for you. I know you will do fine. I wouldn't want a six inch border either. If you want to make it wider, a 3rd strip set will work, and if you want to make it longer....add a few more fabrics to the mix or add an extra 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch to your original cuts. I can't find my pattern, and I googled it....but didn't want to download it again. So I don't remember how many fabrics it calls for or how wide the strips are when you cut them.

Whatever you end up with, do have an even number of fabrics. It makes the ironing and sewing so much easier.

I hope you enjoy the Bargello as much as I have. I am afraid I can't get real interested in other types of quilts for the moment...but I am trying. Surely 7 Bargellos in a row is enough for the time being!

Dina
Old 06-28-2014, 02:12 PM

They are beautiful, Dina!
Old 06-28-2014, 02:55 PM

A bargello is on my bucket list (altho the first several patterns I saw, reminded me mostly of a very private female part!!) I do love the flow of the ones I have seen lately and especially yours. It reminds me of craggy mountain peaks. You did a fantastic job on the two quilts and I don't care which way you make the beds--they will be beautiful.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
A bargello is on my bucket list (altho the first several patterns I saw, reminded me mostly of a very private female part!!) I do love the flow of the ones I have seen lately and especially yours. It reminds me of craggy mountain peaks. You did a fantastic job on the two quilts and I don't care which way you make the beds--they will be beautiful.
Funny, I thought I was the only one who saw several of the Bargello patterns as "a very private female part"!! However, don't let that stop you. None of mine look anything like that. You might enjoy doing Surf Song (just google it to find the book it's in...Twist and Turn Bargello Quilts by Eileen Wright. Her instructions on how to make a Bargello place mat gave me the confidence to try something larger) or Serenity Bargello quilt pattern (google it...it's free). Surf Song is a cool curvy straight line thing and Serenity is the mountain peaks. I have to promise you that if I can make one, anyone can. I have only been quilting 4 years.

In fact, I am going to find a picture of one of my Surf Songs. It may just inspire you.

Dina
Attached Thumbnails s8001611.jpg