Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
bury knots or backstitch? >

bury knots or backstitch?

bury knots or backstitch?

Old 01-28-2016, 05:35 AM

I do some of each. It depends on what the quilt is going to be used for but also on how the back is looking. Mostly I just take a few tiny stitches and then snip. I think that taking tiny stitches/backstitching may be a little more sturdy for a quilt that is going to be used a lot and machine washed etc. But I have also done a fair amount of knotting and burying. When I knot and bury I bring both threads to the front, tie a tiny knot and then bury. It's easier for me to do it from the front and I really can't see any difference between ones that I've done that way and ones where I've taken the threads to the back and then knotted and buried.

When I do the tiny stitches/backstitch/snip thing I always bring the bobbin thread to the surface so I can snip both threads at the same time.

What I generally DON'T do for quilts where the back will be visible is backstitch or take tiny stitches and then use the cutting function on my machines. I have two machines that will pull the threads to the back,cut the thread and tie off, but both of them leave some visible thread that is hard to get rid of and I don't like. This doesn't apply to pieces that I mount on board or stretchers so the back will never be seen--those I'll happily use the thread cutting function on my machines.

Rob
Old 01-28-2016, 05:37 AM
Power Poster

I back stitch very tiny and make sure it is in a place that won't show.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by minibarn View Post
If I may ask, for those that knot and bury, are you pulling up the bobbin thread then knotting the two together to bury or knotting them separately on the front and back? I usually pull them to the back and knot and bury together. Does that sound right?
I prefer to knot and bury. I pull the bobbin thread to the front (could just as easily pull top thread to the back); I'll usually knot the threads together after a bobbin change, as they both come up in the same place. When knotting after the bobbin has run out, I knot and bury those separately, since there is a space between them (if that makes sense).
Old 01-28-2016, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by minibarn View Post
If I may ask, for those that knot and bury, are you pulling up the bobbin thread then knotting the two together to bury or knotting them separately on the front and back? I usually pull them to the back and knot and bury together. Does that sound right?

Personally I have done both knot & bury and taking tiny tiny stitches, but sometimes I don't like the looks of the tiny stitches. I'm not very good a machines quilting yet though either.

I knot and bury, front and back threads, separately. I don't like the look of securing stitches on my Bernina.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:28 AM

I used to backstitch or use the stitch in place key on my Janome but after taking a FMQ class with Leah Day last spring, I have purchased special needles (with a slit) for easy threading and then burying my threads. It also depends on where I start and stop my quilting design. If I can start from the edge and work my way into the middle then I will stitch where I know my binding will cover my start/stop.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:20 AM

I like to tie knots and bury them using a needle with a big eye so it is easy to thread.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:20 AM

I pull the bobbin thread to the top, take a few very small stitches is basically the same place and then clip both threads very close.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Knot my threads and bury with an easy thread needle.
I do the same. My backstitches seem too heavy.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:53 AM

I'm with Tessagin: bury knots in handquilting and backstitch when machine quilting.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:06 AM
Power Poster

I either back stitch, or take several stitches in one place, usually by turning the stitch length down to almost nothing.