Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying a new machine? What one? recommendations Bernina/Husquavarna? >

Buying a new machine? What one? recommendations Bernina/Husquavarna?

Buying a new machine? What one? recommendations Bernina/Husquavarna?

Old 10-26-2013, 05:12 PM

Default Buying a new machine? What one? recommendations Bernina/Husquavarna?

Hello all, I know it has been discussed here before, but I did a search and can find hundreds of posts about sewing machines(go figure! ) ha ha
I am heading to a sewing show tomorrow and possibly might buy a new machine. Nothing fancy, but I would like a reliable one and one with a bit more opening space (is harp? the right word?)
any suggestions welcome as I will be trying out some tomorrow.
please list the name and model number of your fav. machine. Help me out pls. (not really looking for too expensive and therefore, not embroidery machines)
thanks in advance, Patti
Old 10-26-2013, 05:28 PM

Don't forget to look at Janomes. You didn't mention a budget other than not too expensive. that is relative.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:30 PM

well, I am in Canada so prices may be too different. (not into the thousands range)
Janome, right, forgot about that one. Lets just say I don't think I will ever need anything else but the straight stitch and the zig zag stitch. any suggestions???
Old 10-26-2013, 05:34 PM
Power Poster

Make a list of YOUR must haves. Some of mine were...a nice buttonhole stitch for machine appliqué, needle down function for appliqué and FMQuilting, hopping or darning foot for machine quilting, feed dogs able to be lowered for machine quilting.....what do you want?
It is great to have the machine dealer close in case you have problems and some offer free lessons on the machine.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:44 PM

I'm thinking Bernina might be out of your price range. I really thought I wanted one. Maybe someday, but i will have to be convinced ;-) I have the MC6600 Janome. It cost me $1500 nearly 8 years ago and has held its value.

My advice is to look. Don't go to buy. Try everything out. Make notes. Go home and think about it. Search the internet. Make your decision after research. Going to a show doesn't mean you have to walk home with a machine. There are so many good options. Take your time. It's a big investment.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:03 PM

If you get one with a large arm, like the Janome you can do your own FMQ'ing. I have done several King size quilts on my 7700 and easy to do Queen, Twin and lap size. To me that made it worth paying for the machine. It's like have a free sewing machine... ; )
Old 10-26-2013, 06:08 PM

Take a look at the Juki TL2010Q. I love mine.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:39 PM

Oh yes! I haven't seen them at the shows, but i hear great things. If I was going to get another machine, for what i do, I would definitely look at one of those.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:46 PM

viking will give you the least expensive long throat but that really doesn't mean much if you have issues. bernina, janome & babylock give a nice machine in the $4-5,000 range -- long neck -- lots of options -- wonderful stitich & a complete package so you dont have to buy extra accessories. good luck
Old 10-26-2013, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
If you get one with a large arm, like the Janome you can do your own FMQ'ing. I have done several King size quilts on my 7700 and easy to do Queen, Twin and lap size. To me that made it worth paying for the machine. It's like have a free sewing machine... ; )
She said not in the thousands of dollars though. The 7700 would be out of that range.
I adore my Bernina 430, but that too is in the thousands range (and discontinued). Maybe find a used one? Of either machine, the 7700 is fabulous too (it was out of my price range when I bought, but the price has dropped some).

Last edited by Skittl1321; 10-26-2013 at 06:51 PM.