Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying second hand sewing machines for quilting >

Buying second hand sewing machines for quilting

Buying second hand sewing machines for quilting

Old 12-23-2015, 04:09 AM

Default Buying second hand sewing machines for quilting

Hello all, my first post and I really know almost nothing about quilting. My mother loves quilting and has been doing it for many years. I know she'd love a nice quality machine and I'd like to surprise her with a gift. I don't want to ask her directly what she wants but I'll casually ask her without letting on. Anyway, I know they are quite expensive and I was wondering if there are any online places where people sell their used sewing machines. She lives in the USA. Southern New Jersey. Thanks for any help given.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:12 AM

I know she is interested in a Bernina or like quality machine.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:32 AM
Power Poster

My local Bernina dealer accepts trade-in when people are upgrading, so they do sell used machines. You might want to search, see if you can locate a dealer close to her. Often if you buy from a local dealer she will receive free owners classes to learn all the * bells & whistles* of the new machine and also cleanings and warranty.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:46 AM

Two years ago I bought a new Bernina from my local dealer. I bought a 'floor model' when they were having inventory clearance and I got it for about half the MSP. I have had Berninas for 45 years and have loved them all. Actually, I have all of them except one. Like mentioned above, I would work with a dealer. Many people will buy one and upgrade to a more expensive one. My very favorite is probably the 440 QE. My machines have had heavy use. I never seem to have any of the thread or tension issues that I see talked about so frequently on this board. But, I would also advise you to talk to your mother about what you so lovingly want to do. I don't think this is an occasion for surprise. As an experienced quilter she knows what she wants in a machine.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:47 AM

Not sure where YOU are located but here are a couple of dealers you can check. Actually, not sure of the name of this dealer - I know they carry Babylock - not sure of Bernina if that is what you are looking for - but they are located at 699 Haddon Ave., Collingswood, NJ. There is another multi-machine dealer - Stoney Brook Sew & Vac; Rt. 130, Bordentown, NJ (this is the dealer from which I purchased my Viking and does all of my service/repair); Olde City Quilts, Burlington, NJ. I know they carry Bernina - not sure of others. And my LQS - Pennington Quilts, Pennington, NJ does carry Bernina.

Again, not sure where YOU are located to be familiar with the area...Olde City Quilts in Burlington is 'almost' Southern NJ. The Collingswood dealer would be considered Southern NJ (unless she's really south like Cape May area). Bordentown and Pennington would be considered probably Central NJ. I frequent Olde City as well as the Pennington shop. Would recommend both for knowledgeable staff and a pretty darn good selection of machines. Feel free to PM me if you need more info on any of these locations.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:33 AM

Wow thanks for the detailed replies. I'm in Marlton NJ. So Collingswood is close. And I will surely find out what she would like before I buy anything. Anyway, from your replies I see that buying from a dealer is the right move. I just thought there was some online site where people liked to list them.

Just curious, about how much would a nice machine go for used? She doesn't do embroidery , just quilt.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board. I have had two older Bernina (not antiques yet) and they are both still are quilting. I would suggest buying a used machine from a dealer, you do pay more but you have them ready to assist you if there should be any problem with the machine. A good sewing technician is worth their weight in gold!
Old 12-23-2015, 06:57 AM
KLO

First, welcome to the Board. I am originally from South Jersey, born and bred and grew up there. Others have given you very good advice about buying used from a local dealer. I have a QE 153 Bernina that I bought used from my local dealer and have been very pleased with it. Have had it for years. I especially love the knee lift on it. However, I also have a new-to-me but older, used Pfaff. That has the built in "walking foot" called an IDT but not the knee lift. My dream machine would be one that has both those items on it. I know the newer more expensive Berninas now have the IDT because the patent on the Pfaff IDT has aged out and I think the newer, more expensive Pfaffs have the knee lift now. When I win the lottery I will be able to buy one of those but too expensive for me right now. So, it depends on how much you have to spend. Maybe go to several shops and see what they have used for sale and what extras they come with. The Authorized Sew & Vac store in Collingswood carries and services a number of different machines including Bernina and Pfaff. You can google them and see the list. They do carry other good name brand machines that others like a lot. There is also a shop in Pitman called Mister Sew-Vac who also lists Pfaffs but I am not sure about Berninas. Google them also.

Good luck with your hunt. Hope you can get some hints from your Mom as to what she would like to have. That would surely help thin the search. If you also sew, try some out in the shops. If not, have them demonstrated for you. I would say you could check Craig's List in your area but that is a hit or miss opportunity especially if you don't know exactly what you are looking for or know how a specific machine should work. Best to stick with the shops.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:04 AM

What a great gift to give your Mom . I would suggest you decide on a price you are willing to spend, visit the dealer & see what deal he/she will offer on different models, warranty & including machine classes. Many dealers are having a 25% off sale on feet right now & many are doing end of year inventory sales. A "walking foot" is one I'd suggest buying with the machine for quilting. Bernina's aren't cheap, but a 2nd hand machine normally goes for half price or even less, depending on the dealer. Then take your Mom shooping & let her chose.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:14 AM
Power Poster

welcome to the board and I would go ahead and ask her if she could have one which would she prefer. That's a purchase you want to make good on by making her happy. Merry Christmas!