Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying a whole roll of batting--tips? >

Buying a whole roll of batting--tips?

Buying a whole roll of batting--tips?

Old 10-01-2013, 11:55 AM
RST

Default Buying a whole roll of batting--tips?

I think I'm to the point where buying the whole roll makes sense. I tend to like Hobbs 80/20, or similar cotton rich blends. However, I have qualms.

Tell me how you store that honking big roll without getting pet hair and dust on it?

Suggestions on how to measure and cut accurately and efficiently?

Any tips on best price sources? There's that 50% off JoAnn coupon, but it looks like online batting purchases come with a hefty shipping rate due to oversized box. Have you ever had any luck in buying a whole roll in-store?

Has anyone ever done the cold hard math and figured out the cost benefit (if any) of buying a roll over buying pre-packaged cuts with a coupon?

Many thanks in advance for your experineces and input--
RST
Old 10-01-2013, 12:00 PM
Power Poster

I don't buy a whole roll but I do buy a considerable amount of batting from the roll with a coupon. Joann rolls it on a cardboard roll and I stick it in the corner of my sewing room - either inside a large plastic bag or in a box to protect the bottom from getting dirty. Works for me as it is the only space I have. I like pulling the roll out and cutting exactly what I need.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:17 PM

I don't have room for a whole roll!! I have seen some people use a portable garment rack to store a roll of batting on

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-02-2013 at 09:58 AM. Reason: remove copyright image
Old 10-01-2013, 12:24 PM
Power Poster

I purchase batting by the 40 yard bolt *roll* when ever I need more batting- I generally find ways to use free shipping, or a coupon that makes up for any shipping charges- if you order through joann's you can have it shipped to the store to save on shipping fees. it comes in a huge plastic bag- I keep it stored in that bag- when I need it I take it out, cut what I need, and put it back- it stands next to a dresser in my quilting room. pretty much out of the way. when I need to cut a batt I usually take the roll (the batting is folded in 1/2 so it is only 45- 54" tall) into the bedroom- I lay it out on the bed & pull out what amount I need- using a tape measure- then I cut off the amount I need. sometimes I may need to use a ruler and mark the line to cut on- sometimes I can 'eye ball' it.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:25 PM
Power Poster

Bonnie Hunter was saying last night on quilt cam, that she buys a whole roll of Hobbs 80/20 batt. She didn't say from where but you could go to her site www.quiltville.blogspot.com and ask?
Old 10-01-2013, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

No way would I have room for a roll of batting.
I only buy high loft polyester batting. In the bag and stick into one of my large closets in sewing room. They stand up, I try to keep about six on hand. When I use one I get another.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:01 PM

I have a table that I keep up all the time. One of the plastic kind, that I use for cutting and things. I have a piece of pipe that I put through the roll of the batting and place it under the table, with the ends of the pipe on the crossbar of the table legs. I then roll the batting off as I need it. Works great and is out of the way.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:14 PM

My roll is sitting on top of a shelving unit (minus the top shelf, so it isn't quite as high as it sounds).
Old 10-01-2013, 01:37 PM

My roll of 80/20 stands up in the corner of the guest room. When we have guests it goes into the shower of the unused bathroom off the office (those bathroom cabinets hold a lot of fabric -- ha). The guest room closet holds smaller batting rolls and many pre-cut batts. Batting is a pain to store, but it sure it nice to have it when I need it. The fleece that I keep in the house for Project Linus blankets takes up even more space.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:12 PM
Power Poster

One of the savings from buying batting by the roll is that you can cut off the length you need. Prepackaged batts are hardly ever just the right size for me. I store mine in the box it comes in, in a spare bedroom. I have always received free shipping from JoAnn's, direct to my door, or have occasionally purchased the entire bolt at the store.