Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: can I do free motion quilting without a darning foot?

I was going to attempt to do some free motion quilting on a wall quilt, but I just realized I don't have a darning foot. Can I do it without one? I have a walking foot but I don't think it will work too well for the flowers I was planning to quilt.

Blog Entries
    Other foots don't really work, because the darning foot is made to float over the top of the fabric for free motion quilting. If you are wanting to sew straight lines (grid work) or SID the walking foot is perfect for this, and what it is made for :D:D:D

Yup what she said .... the first time I put on my darning foot, I thought I did it wrong because it doesn't clamp down on the fabric like other foots, it just kind of floats over it. I have forced circles with my regular foot, but having done it, I would highly suggest against it LOL Not a pretty sight.

Rachel

I guess I'll do cross-hatching then. I wish I would have known I didn't have a darning foot before I spent 1.5 hours tracing little flowers all over the quilt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caedmyn
    I guess I'll do cross-hatching then. I wish I would have known I didn't have a darning foot before I spent 1.5 hours tracing little flowers all over the quilt.
    Can you get a darning foot? If you plan to get into FMQ, you'll need one eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Can you get a darning foot? If you plan to get into FMQ, you'll need one eventually.
    I agree.

I don't want to spend the money right now. I wouldn't mind trying free motion quilting eventually but with another baby on the way, I really doubt I'll have any time to do any more quilting for a few years!

Blog Entries
    I don't want to spend the money right now. I wouldn't mind trying free motion quilting eventually but with another baby on the way, I really doubt I'll have any time to do any more quilting for a few years!
    There's always time for quilting....LOL

what is the pattern of your quilt? I have been doing a little flower like design in four patches.

I just bought a darning foot from Nancy's Notions for $6.99. Check it out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast