Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
can it really shrink 10" UPDATE >

can it really shrink 10" UPDATE

can it really shrink 10" UPDATE

Old 12-05-2014, 04:29 AM

Default can it really shrink 10" UPDATE

I bought 3.5 yds of 118" backing fabric, it was crammed into a small box so rather than iron I washed. As soon as it came out of the dryer I put it on my frame so it would be stretched and not wrinkled, when I went to load the top which I knew was 108" the were the same size! Well fabric.com can't take it back because I washed it but did give me 10$ credit but now I wonder , is it possible that it shrunk THAT much? I guess I'll try again and not wash because I don't want it pieced.
I have to add that the girl did offer to send me enough to piece it to fit at no charge and last week I ordered some 1yd pieces, one had a "Jackpot, you got the end of the bolt" sticker, I measured it and it was 3.5 inches longer, no big deal but another one was 17" longer!
I guess from now on if it's important I will measure before I do anything else.
NEW TEST RESULTS
I bought another 3.5 yds of the same fabric different color, ( I really didn't care for the rust color after seeing it in person) it measured exactly 118", I cut off 10 inches, washed and dried, it measured 110"! it wasn't quite dry yet so I guess it really can shrink 10" in the width, the length was barely noticeable! So.... since most of my top hasn't been washed nor has my cotton batting, I'm going to quilt it and cross my fingers when I put it in the wash and hope it all goes at pretty much the same rate...... we shall see.

Last edited by kathy; 12-10-2014 at 04:36 AM. Reason: add results
Old 12-05-2014, 04:32 AM
Power Poster

by chance, were they able to measure a piece from the original bolt to see if it was 118" to start... maybe it wasn't. i washed some standard size yardage once and it shrunk 3% in one direction and 6% in the other.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

10 inches does seem extreme so I think it was never 118? I guess measuring as soon as you get fabric is a good idea.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:11 AM

That does sound high, almost 10% shrinkage. I guess measure first.... Now you have me wondering if some of my 118" wide fabric is short too...some of it is from them too. I don't always use the full width so I wouldn't necessarily have noticed.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

Same thing almost happened to me. The backing wasn't the size said to be. Dh laughs at me because when I order something I record on video (past 5 years) after being ripped off in past of merchandise and still having to pay for it. I always measure or check before washing so I can determine shrinkage. the only thing I have had bad shrinkage was an accident with a knit sweater that was thrown into a load of bath linen and washed in hot water. Sick.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:22 AM

forgot to mention, I asked her how I could be sure it wouldn't happen again, she said when I find what I want I can call and request that someone in the warehouse measure it, I said but will they actually measure it or just read what's printed on the end, she assured me that they would actually measure it. I'm going to choose the same fabric but another color...stay tuned.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:30 AM
Administrator

i can't help but wonder if they accidentally grabbed a bolt of 108".
i have never seen even the lowest grade fabric shrink that much.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:45 AM

Patrice may have the answer!!

I recently purchased 115" backing from them for my 108" quilt, I also washed and dried mine (hot water, hot dryer - like I always do), then pressed it and folded it and brought to the long armer with my quilt. Good news is that my quilt is back and I can see that the backing was indeed wide enough.

Sorry ... I don't remember what brand name my fabric was. When I get home tonight I'll see if there is something printed on the selvege as I haven't trimmed it to bind yet.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

I also think they may have grapped the wromg bolt.

however - I have had some 42 inch fabfic shrink to 39 inches, so it is possible.

I would consider that much shrinkag to be defectivr. I think I would call again and ask for anager or supervixor. how would one know it would shtink like that by looking at it? do you still have the paperwork ?
Old 12-05-2014, 11:32 AM

I have had some pretty bad shrinkage but never that bad. I would surly measure before I wash again.