Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you really make a quilt in a day? >

Can you really make a quilt in a day?

Can you really make a quilt in a day?

Old 02-17-2012, 10:23 AM

Although I have made a quilt in a day for a quick baby gift or for a class sample of something I was teaching, I am with all those who said we take the time to enjoy the process. To me, while I LOVE seeing the finished quilt, I do enjoy striving for increased accuracy, and I especially savor the planning and fabric selection part of the process. Why are we rushing through everything in life? As my 91-yo father says: "We'll be a long time dead!" so enjoy your avocation!
Old 02-17-2012, 10:35 AM

I'm with you, I don't see the satisfication in doing it in one day then not being proud of your work. I'd like to make a jelly roll quilt in fact there is a jelly roll on a table near my sewing machine but I don't plan to do it in a day even if I had the whole day. Working interupts a lot of things.
Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
My question is why would you want to? Why race to complete? IMHO quilting is a hobby to be savored and enjoyed. Quite honestly how nice is a quilt that was raced to completion? Seems if you are racing to finish you will be cutting corners and not piecing very precisely or checking your seams to ensure they will hold up. I just don't get it.
Yes I love to see the progression and yes I love the feeling of accomplishment I have when finishing up a quilt but I think that is because I choose peicing patterns that are complex and visually interesting. I want my quilts to hold up to hard use and I want them appealing enough that they WILL be used.

I carefully and thoughtfully select my quilting designs and motifs to compliment and enhance the piecing or carry on the theme of the quilt. I just don't understand the enticement of racing to complete a quilt just to get it done.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:48 AM

I've been quilting since 2002 and it can take me a day just to figure out my fabric choices from my stash. Bless those that can quilt that fast, but my average is more like a week or 3. That's for less than a twin size at that!
Old 02-17-2012, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
My question is why would you want to? Why race to complete? IMHO quilting is a hobby to be savored and enjoyed. Quite honestly how nice is a quilt that was raced to completion? Seems if you are racing to finish you will be cutting corners and not piecing very precisely or checking your seams to ensure they will hold up. I just don't get it.
Yes I love to see the progression and yes I love the feeling of accomplishment I have when finishing up a quilt but I think that is because I choose peicing patterns that are complex and visually interesting. I want my quilts to hold up to hard use and I want them appealing enough that they WILL be used.

I carefully and thoughtfully select my quilting designs and motifs to compliment and enhance the piecing or carry on the theme of the quilt. I just don't understand the enticement of racing to complete a quilt just to get it done.

I used to race through a quilt - getting it done as fast as I could - on to the next one. Then I realized that I wasn't enjoying each step in the process and putting too much pressure on myself. (Get enough of that at work). So I stopped trying to multitask, start relaxing, and my quilts came out better and I enjoy it more. To say nothing of the fact that I was spending way too much money on quilts each year.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by annthreecats View Post
I just figured up all the time I spent cutting, sewing, quilting and finishing my first lap quilt. I counted up 35 hours, give or take a couple of hours. I know I'm a quilting newbie, but I've been sewing for a long time, so I know my way around the sewing room. I started wondering, is it really possible to make a quilt in a day? Is Eleanor Burns really saying you can make a quilt in a day or is that just a figure of speech?
I attended an Eleanor Burns Quilt in a Day seminar about 3 years ago and, yes, you can make a quilt in a day. And I was working with only one eye. I had cataract surgey 4 days before the seminar. When I signed up and paid for the seminar 3 months earlier, I didn't know that I was going to have the surgery---I don't recommend doing it this way. It is much easier with both eyes! LOL
Old 02-17-2012, 01:06 PM

I can & have made a large lap-sized top in a day (using "Yellow Brick Road" for example). It's not my usual way of working (I like to dawdle & think as I go, enjoying the process) but sometimes I either need to have one done soon (for a charity quilt for example) or I just feel like having a feeling of accomplishment. The Eleanor Burns Log Cabin I made took waaaaay longer than a day, tho. Just my 2 cents worth...
Old 02-17-2012, 02:51 PM

I can make a top in one day but doing the quilting and binding will be for another day.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:26 PM

I've made Kaye Wood's six hour quilt in a day. From cutting to binding. )
Old 02-17-2012, 04:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Helen6869 View Post
I totally agree with feline fanatic....(I'm a feline fanatic too...about my one feline anyway!) I just completed a quilt for my dgd which she requested and helped with fabric choice and some sewing. I got a little frustrated because I thought she was getting anxious to receive it but I was enjoying taking my time finishing it up. I really don't like to be rushed or have a deadline with one because it is my hobby and I do it for MY enjoyment mostly. So IMHO, no one day "do-s" for me. Or racing of any kind for me. Will have my 70th birthday tomorrow so I love going slow at lots of things!! lol!
earlier I posted about making a quilt in a day and the reasons for doing it. Not every quilt has to be made that way and there is great enjoyment in all the prep work of fabric choice, washing and pressing, cutting and layout. Not rushed, just organized. I don't cut any corners and some of my best project tops have been done in a day. What I do feel great about is I will have a gift ready and I loved every minute I spent on it. Complicated? good for you. Some of the simpilist patterns are the most beautiful. I never make quilts just to get them done. Just enjoy what you do whatever way you want to do it. Sometimes in a day!
peace
Old 02-17-2012, 04:44 PM

My first quilt ( many many years ago ) was at a chain fabric store that is long gone. They offered a Quilt in a Day class. When you signed up they gave you a chart with amount of fabric for each size and I was told pre wash and iron. LOL My bed was king so I had my fabric ready and I did it. Most everyone else did a twin or throw. Live and learn now I would do a throw.