Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you really make a quilt in a day? >

Can you really make a quilt in a day?

Can you really make a quilt in a day?

Old 02-17-2012, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
My question is why would you want to? Why race to complete? IMHO quilting is a hobby to be savored and enjoyed. Quite honestly how nice is a quilt that was raced to completion? Seems if you are racing to finish you will be cutting corners and not piecing very precisely or checking your seams to ensure they will hold up. I just don't get it.
Yes I love to see the progression and yes I love the feeling of accomplishment I have when finishing up a quilt but I think that is because I choose peicing patterns that are complex and visually interesting. I want my quilts to hold up to hard use and I want them appealing enough that they WILL be used.

I carefully and thoughtfully select my quilting designs and motifs to compliment and enhance the piecing or carry on the theme of the quilt. I just don't understand the enticement of racing to complete a quilt just to get it done.
For what it is worth, I totally agree with "feline fanatic". Doing a jelly roll strip quilt really does not require any cutting (well, OK, not much cutting), measuring or exact seams - not to mention piecing HST or other things. I like strip quilts and do them often just to relieve the stress (self imposed) of piecing blocks. I do like Eleanor Burns' methods and laugh often with/at her videos. She has created an empire for herself and her family on her short-cuts and she is to be commended for that. I guess anyone could take a day and devote it completely to making a quilt top. I believe that would require having done all fabric selection before (not included in the "day") and have everything ready to go when the clock starts ticking.....no children or hubby interrupting with requests or questions....no telephone calls....no laundry...no cooking.....OK OK you get the picture....just my HO.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:13 PM

i dont work ( outside the home) and i cant get one done in a day!!
Old 02-17-2012, 06:21 PM
Banned

Last fall I did make two queen size quilts, start to finish all but the binding, in three days! One was using cheater fabric for the center area, but the rest and the whole other quilt was cut, pieced, longarmed and done in three days. My DH made sure I slept and ate! lol
Old 02-17-2012, 07:09 PM

As I stated earlier, just like those of you that can’t imagine doing this, I can’t imagine dragging the process out. I get frustrated if I don’t accomplish something. Please, don’t assume that my work is less than it should be. I was the kid in class that had to finish first and have the top score in the class. I am still that person. For me, it is pointless for it to be perfect if it took too long to make.

I don’t think her company name is a lie. She started out with making quilt tops in a day. Today as I was sewing I thanked God for a machine that sewed 1000 spm and wished it were a little faster. I work well by EB’s “pedal to the metal” method.

I have often said, I am not a quilter. I sew. This thread (and my strong dislike of felines) confirms that for me.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by MaryLane View Post
As I stated earlier, just like those of you that can’t imagine doing this, I can’t imagine dragging the process out. I get frustrated if I don’t accomplish something. Please, don’t assume that my work is less than it should be. I was the kid in class that had to finish first and have the top score in the class. I am still that person. For me, it is pointless for it to be perfect if it took too long to make.

I don’t think her company name is a lie. She started out with making quilt tops in a day. Today as I was sewing I thanked God for a machine that sewed 1000 spm and wished it were a little faster. I work well by EB’s “pedal to the metal” method.

I have often said, I am not a quilter. I sew. This thread (and my strong dislike of felines) confirms that for me.
Isn't this what is so good about this Board. We each enjoy our craft differently. Some of us are fast quilters & some of us (like me) are very slow. I'm so slow that I want to find some quicker ways just to find that since of accomplishment. I love this board!
Old 02-17-2012, 07:28 PM

I have made a top in day and i have made tops that took weeks just depends on the pattern
Old 02-17-2012, 07:33 PM

of course you can make a quilt in a day! IF you have it cut out first!
and no interruptions, you have to sew sew sew to get it all done
katz
Old 02-17-2012, 08:04 PM

There are severzl patterns you can do in a day.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:52 PM
Power Poster

I doubt I could, I sew most of the weekends and a couple hours each evening and it still takes 2-3 weeks. I can make a queen size, if I do nothing else and spend about 10 hours a day sewing. I made one once because I sometimes set impossible goals for myself and try to race the clock. Thank goodness, I don't do that much anymore.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:05 PM

Any time I get in a hurry to do anything things happen to thwart my plans. When I did a jelly roll race I was letting the seamed strips slide over the back of the sewing table and found that it is quite possible when they fall quite straight and neat like that to not notice that the bobbin ran out until you have "sewn" a good six feet of nothing. And/or the needle breaks or the machine goes haywire in some way, usually more than once. At some point I tell myself that this is a hobby I do for pleasure, and pressure to get anything done in a big hurry is not part of the fun for me. It's probably safe to say that when a teacher like Eleanor Burns touts a method as fast, she's being quite honest, but quilting is her career. She has the best equipment and supplies all the time and constant practice. It seems to me distinctly likely that the average hobby quilter is not going to have quite the same conditions and experience and will take more time. The short cuts EB uses will definitely save time over traditional methods.