Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cat Panel >

Cat Panel

Cat Panel

Old 07-17-2010, 07:26 AM

Thanks for all the replies, I am now thinking of appliqué but would like to ask Sewcrafty - what is water soluble fusible material? Would it be the same as using an iron-on backing to fuse the cat to the backing fabric?
Thought I might appliqué, quilt, then make tea-cosies etc! All suggestions welcome!! We have a Christmas present list with kids from 6months to 94 years (my Mum) to buy for, so it should be home-made for all from now-on!
Old 07-17-2010, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PenelopeG
Thanks for all the replies, I am now thinking of appliqué but would like to ask Sewcrafty - what is water soluble fusible material? Would it be the same as using an iron-on backing to fuse the cat to the backing fabric?
Thought I might appliqué, quilt, then make tea-cosies etc! All suggestions welcome!! We have a Christmas present list with kids from 6months to 94 years (my Mum) to buy for, so it should be home-made for all from now-on!
Yes, you can use it to iron your fusible on for applique, and the when washed it will dissolve. It is used a lot on machine embroidery. Pillows would be cute also with the front of the cats on the front and the back of the cats on the back.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:23 AM
Power Poster

Welcome! You could make a long pillow.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:48 AM

cut them apart, take one square set and make a square quilt as you go block, then repeat for each kitty. I think it would make a cute kids quilt by adding plain QAG blocks with them. :thumbup:
Old 07-17-2010, 01:12 PM

Thanks for the ideas - what is QAG? (please excuse my ignorance, very new to this!).
Old 07-17-2010, 07:08 PM

for someone who likes catsm make a set of pillowcases with the cats on the end panel...fronts on one and backs on another, or make one pillow case with bothsets of cats on the one case.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by PenelopeG
A lot of fusing can tend to be stiff, so I like the option of the water soluable. You iron it on as normal and sew it down, but when you wash it the fusible dissolves and it soft like a reg. applique item.

Does that make sense?
Old 07-18-2010, 12:01 PM

I think that would be cute too
Old 07-18-2010, 12:02 PM

I think that would be cute too
Old 07-19-2010, 07:04 PM

quilt as you go