Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: CHAIR to sit in, when sewing/quilting

Lightbulb CHAIR to sit in, when sewing/quilting

I would like to ask a question............what is the best kind of a chair to use, for sitting at the machine? I have tried several and not happy with any of them yet. Firs, I had a computer type desk chair (with arms)...not comfortalbe for sewing; then I tried an office waiting room type chair (4 legs, no rocking) and that was kinda ok, but the seat "sags" after a while..........now I have an old, rolling, with arms, chair (goodwill find) and that isnt very comfortable either. So what works best? I have thought of getting a thick piece of foam and making a "pillow seat" to put in it.......what do you use?
    Judy, retired RN, alias 4 dogs and in the mountains of western North Carolina.

Someday you will be a memory - try to make it a good one .

Koala, seat is adjustable....up and down. Back is adjustable, up, down and reclines some. Made for sewers.

Power Poster
    I like the armless secretarial type chair that rolls and the back and seat are adjustable. Make sure you get one with 5 legs/casters instead of only 4. Much less tippy.

I purchased an armed office chair from either Staples or Office Depot. I love it because it adjusts up and down, rolls and tilts backwards if I want to lean. I think I paid less than $100 for it. I don't know how I ever sewed without it. It is one of the worst things about going on a retreat. I can't take my chair as it won't fit in my car. Some of the other girls who had vans etc. were able to bring their chairs.
    Trying to sew, quilt or read everyday.

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I use a padded, wide-seat, armless, adjustable, rolling office secretary's chair that I've had for a decade. I love it.
    Jan in VA

Mine is green.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

Power Poster
    I have a rolling adjustable office chair. I have added one of the mesh back rests from the $ store. It keeps my back from sweating and helps keep my lower back more comfortable.

Is it possible that it's not the chair, but the position of the sewing machine that is causing you discomfort? I find it very difficult to sew without having my machine recessed into the table, with a big completely flat surface all around it. If your machine is too high, or too low, that could be the real issue, rather than the chair.

ITA with Dunster ... consider the ergonomics of your setup.

Everything should be at 90 angles ... back to legs at the hips, legs at the knees, elbows 90 with arms on the sewing surface without shrugging/raising shoulders.

I use a rolling adjustable rolling draftsman's chair including adjustable arms ... it's lowest starts at the highest of a typical office chair.
    When I am straight sewing, I work at one height ... and I raise it up a tad when I am FMQ or SITD quilting.

And when I got to sewing classes, most the ergnomics are horrible and I could not last a day ... so I take along chair pads to get my chair to a better height, or sit with two chairs stacked.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have an ancient ergonomic chair without back or sides and is on a rocker bottom. Very comfortable. I have also seen the ergonomic chair that you sit on a huge ball. My friend has the big ball ergonomic chair that she just loves.

Through posts on the board I found a YouTube video from Marguerita McManus about creating an ergonomically correct sewing table. I made mine about 3 months ago and it works great. Not pretty to look at but I don't have back and neck problems either. I also have a secretarial chair without arms and the adjustable seat and back. Try a Google search "ergonomic sewing table height".
    Good luck.
    kathyd

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast