Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A change of plans... >

A change of plans...

A change of plans...

Old 09-06-2010, 09:26 AM

Ok I started a quilt wall hanging for my dad back in February and had set my mind on trying to do stipple stitch... I'm really bad at doing a random pattern and making it look good so I went out and bought a stipple stencil and marked it with the chalk stuff. Well, I got really intimidated with actually doing the stipple, even with a pattern because it would take forever and well, i knew i would mess it up. So it sat for 7 months with the stipple pattern on it on the floor of my bonus room... I decided after my 13 year old daughter nagged me to finish my quilt and that I want to give this to my dad soon so I broke down and did the criss cross quilting pattern instead where i run tape longways along the quilt in 2 different directions.. It was easy and i got the quilting done. Now all i have left is the edging. So, is it wimpy of me to take the easy way out? Do any of you change your plans and do something easier to get your quilt done?
Old 09-06-2010, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

I change my mind all of the time. If you think something will be better (like finishing it) why is it wimpy?
Old 09-06-2010, 09:30 AM

No its not wimpy of you! It's great to finish a project! :thumbup: Especially one for a loved one.
I haven't tried free motion quilting yet, but I'm thinking of making some little beds or mats for the animals at the animal shelter to practice on. Maybe you could try that, until you get comfortable with stippling.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:06 AM

Didn't it feel great to get that almost done, better when your finished, Yay for you !! :) and reciever !!

You can always change your mind with this, complete control is yours :) No Quilt Police allowed in my Sewing room!! Just creative freedom :)
Can always try or practice the other, on some scraps, or potholders. Have Fun :)
Old 09-06-2010, 10:28 AM

I never end the same way I start and I dont follow directions I always change things My cat is the only one who knows and he's not going to tell
Old 09-06-2010, 10:52 AM
CRH

DONE is always a good thing!!!! Congratulations!!
Old 09-06-2010, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by CRH
DONE is always a good thing!!!! Congratulations!!
ditto, I have a hard time finishing one myself. :oops:
Old 09-06-2010, 02:19 PM

I have a tendency to get stuck doing one quilting pattern (usually echo and SITD) over and over and being afraid to try anything else.

With that said, finished is always better than incomplete.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:29 PM

When I first started quilting, I did it all by hand. FMQ was not in my vocabulary. I even did a quilt with the stipple stencil, it took forever and the fabric is a busy print and you can hardly see the quilting. I can't seem to get the hang of FMQ other than small pieces. I have done several quilts with grid quilting, diagonal lines in both directions at 2" intervals. I love the look and it works for me. I haven't given up on hand quilting, it is still my favorite. Maybe one day I'll get the courage to try FMQ on a large quilt.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:54 PM

I can't tell you how many times I have thought I would stipple or use a meandering pattern and then chickened out and went back to cross hatching....It is also very intimidating for me..I love to hand quilt and have decided not to be so hard on myself...Someday we will jump in there and we will be amazing!!! Good Luck....