Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Change of plans...absolute minimums >

Change of plans...absolute minimums

Change of plans...absolute minimums

Old 11-01-2018, 04:22 PM

Default Change of plans...absolute minimums

Back again for more expert answers, lol.

So...I'm making a (pp'd) king size Hunter's Star quilt. I believe the finished block size is 16" (not near sewing room ATM).

I had originally planned no borders for this quilt...just enough blocks for an appropriate drop. Well, this thing is making me crazy. I just really need for this quilt to be done! So I've decided to only make enough blocks to cover the top of the mattress and then add borders. The whole thing has taken sooo much more fabric than I had originally planned. But I was able to purchase (and - I think) lots more.

At the moment I am thinking of a 3" (finished) inner border and then a 6" (finished) outer border. This is a 2-fabric only quilt. I may have to adjust the size of the borders (to 2" & 4" respectively) based on the amount of fabric left when I finish the last few blocks.

And because of the pattern itself, I am thinking of mitered borders. And perhaps no top border - just sides & bottom.

So...my question(s) for the experts: if doing a total 9" mitered border how much longer do I need to make the border sections (which I will piece the 2 borders then do the miter) and same question if I do a total 6" mitered border? As well as your opinions of no top border??

Since this is just in the 'thinking' process, I've not measured how much of each fabric I have left. Not sure if it will be light inner; dark outer or vice versa. That, too, will depend on fabric quantities. After I've finished the block construction. Sigh.

If it makes a difference in your opinion, this is an anniversary gift for BIL/SIL (and a little late to boot, lol). And FWIW, they are a very casual household.

As always, thanks for you help. You folks are amazing with your generosity and wisdom.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:56 PM
Power Poster

Maybe the attached drawing might help a little?

If the edge of the top measures 60 inches - I would cut the 3 inch border at least 67 inches long. Actually, if I had enough fabric I would cut them 68 inches long - just for a little wiggle room.

I would cut the 6 inch border at least 13 inches longer than the 3 inch border.

If using a 2 inch border - and the top edge was 60 inches, I would cut the strip at least 65 inches long.

I would then cut the 4 inch border at least 9 inches longer that the 2 inch border.

When piecing the borders, I would find the centers of each strip - match the centers - and then pin from the center to the ends. That way I would know that the "overhangs" will be the same on both ends.
Attached Thumbnails borders-measurements.jpg  
Old 11-01-2018, 06:08 PM

Think about sashing the blocks as well. It will make the top bigger but also erase the need to match all those pesky points.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:38 AM
Gay

I may be dense here, but if you have no border on the top side you cannot have mitred corners. You need a border to mitre onto. Otherwise, you need the length of the side plus twice the width of the border + extra for seams.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

If the pattern is "friendly" to the idea - using a square in the corners instead of mitering the borders, uses a lot less fabric.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:36 AM

Are you planning to miter the bottom and side borders only? Does the quilt have a center point? If so, you need the top too to keep it centered. The other option is to add cornerstones. They get me out some predicaments.

A how-to here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMWQABZwis8
Old 11-03-2018, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
Think about sashing the blocks as well. It will make the top bigger but also erase the need to match all those pesky points.

My first thought was to add sashing too. It can expand your quilt quickly and then you can perhaps avoid the double borders or only need a smaller border. I do this often on small quilts such as baby quilts that finish at 36 inches or there about. I add sashing and expand the quilt to 40 or 42 inches. I am always surprised at how sashing extends the size of the quilt. Fewer blocks to make and each block is framed to show off it beauty.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:30 AM

Wouldn't sashing defeat the look of the stars? In a hunters star you get a secondary pattern when the blocks are sewn together. I'm making one now and I think the pattern would be lost with sashing.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by patchwork View Post
Wouldn't sashing defeat the look of the stars? In a hunters star you get a secondary pattern when the blocks are sewn together. I'm making one now and I think the pattern would be lost with sashing.
I agree totally with this which is why I had planned for no sashing.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:43 AM

When considering not adding a top border, yes, would have only mitered the sides and bottom. I did quick sketchs in EQ yesterday with a few variations and really am not happy with the non-bordered top of the quilt.

I'm still very much in construction mode with this thing. Still making blocks but I really want to be done with making blocks, lol. If I have my calculations correct for my modified plan, I only need to make 4 more blocks. Then I just have to make sure I have enough - in the correct layout - to make sure the sides/top/bottom are all facing the correct way.

I actually started constructing the rows yesterday as I had run out of the paper piecing sheets and was waiting for DH to bring home more. When I woke at 4AM tossing and turning this AM, it occurred to me that I have to check what I was doing with that before putting them together. I just grabbed blocks and started sewing into rows. I may have to wiggle some of those to get the correct layout. Sigh. But, hey, I thought of it before I put the whole thing together, eh??