View Single Post
Old 11-01-2018, 04:22 PM
NJ Quilter

Default Change of plans...absolute minimums

Back again for more expert answers, lol.

So...I'm making a (pp'd) king size Hunter's Star quilt. I believe the finished block size is 16" (not near sewing room ATM).

I had originally planned no borders for this quilt...just enough blocks for an appropriate drop. Well, this thing is making me crazy. I just really need for this quilt to be done! So I've decided to only make enough blocks to cover the top of the mattress and then add borders. The whole thing has taken sooo much more fabric than I had originally planned. But I was able to purchase (and - I think) lots more.

At the moment I am thinking of a 3" (finished) inner border and then a 6" (finished) outer border. This is a 2-fabric only quilt. I may have to adjust the size of the borders (to 2" & 4" respectively) based on the amount of fabric left when I finish the last few blocks.

And because of the pattern itself, I am thinking of mitered borders. And perhaps no top border - just sides & bottom.

So...my question(s) for the experts: if doing a total 9" mitered border how much longer do I need to make the border sections (which I will piece the 2 borders then do the miter) and same question if I do a total 6" mitered border? As well as your opinions of no top border??

Since this is just in the 'thinking' process, I've not measured how much of each fabric I have left. Not sure if it will be light inner; dark outer or vice versa. That, too, will depend on fabric quantities. After I've finished the block construction. Sigh.

If it makes a difference in your opinion, this is an anniversary gift for BIL/SIL (and a little late to boot, lol). And FWIW, they are a very casual household.

As always, thanks for you help. You folks are amazing with your generosity and wisdom.