Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Characters in quilting....to sell. >

Characters in quilting....to sell.

Characters in quilting....to sell.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by cowgirlquilter View Post
Please be careful. At my school, we showed a free Disney movie and had goodies for sale for the parent teacher club, and believe it or not, we had the "Disney police" show up and revoke all of our rights to even use their movies.
Mixed feelings....but it is what it is......
Oh, for cryin' out loud! How in the world did they even find out?
Old 08-29-2012, 12:58 PM
Power Poster

if you purchase ' licensed/ copyrighted/ for personal use only' fabrics you can make what ever you want with them...FOR PERSONAL USE...you can not sell, market, share, display the items without obtaining permission from the license holder FIRST. so of course you can make your kids/grandkids pj's- or doll clothes- or what ever- your daughter in law curtains...what ever---you just can not (profit) from the fabrics- or even publically display the items you made.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by fien777 View Post
So difficult but I can't imagine that I'm buying very correctly in a licensed store some disneyfabrics ( or any other mark) and then can't make a quilt or pyama's to give to my neighbours little girl as a gift?
why buy fabrics then?
Of course you can buy the fabric, make the pajamas, and do whatever you want with them. But the original question was about copying an image of a character that someone else owns, not buying fabric with that image on it. Copying isn't allowed.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by fien777 View Post
So difficult but I can't imagine that I'm buying very correctly in a licensed store some disneyfabrics ( or any other mark) and then can't make a quilt or pyama's to give to my neighbours little girl as a gift?
why buy fabrics then?
I believe this is permissable, as long as you purchased the copyrighted fabrics, and did not just make them up from your own appliqued or pieced design. That would be copying the images, which are protected from copying under the copyright. You may buy the fabrics, and make items from it for your own use, or to give as a gift. You can't make up a bunch and resell them at a public venue, though. The copyright holder is the only one who can display the images publicly. I think my understanding is correct, and hope I've explained it clearly. It can get confusing.