Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Charge to Make a Queen Quilt >

Charge to Make a Queen Quilt

Charge to Make a Queen Quilt

Old 05-09-2014, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Terri D. View Post
I helped an acquaintance with her T-shirt quilt business last Christmas. It's always more work than you think.

Don't forget to factor in your time for creating a layout, plus calculating yardage for and time spent cutting compensating strips, sashing, borders, backing and binding. T-shirts are not created equal in that one shirt's logo may give you a 14" square, whereas another may only yield an 8" square. If you have to account for those size differences, it will require more of your time, for which you should rightly charge.
I make T-shirt quilts and long arm them-but like Terri says, you usually will not find the T's logos are equal size, so you do have to figure out a design--and for me that means cutting the T's to find my largest blocks, designing, then stabilizing and re-cutting/trimming, plus cutting all the other fabric. And like a friend just told me about her business of doing formalwear alterations--it requires skill and problem solving--just like our plumber, mechanic, etc and they don't work for minimum wage (well, beginning mechanics do according to my son!),so why should seamstresses? Just because we are mostly women? FYI--I charge 9 cents per square inch which puts me in the average range in my area and this does include all material except T's and long arm quilting.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:00 AM

There is a ton of work that goes into a T-shirt quilt and I don't like making them, have made 2. I charge like Onebyone's guild does, $20 a shirt with a 12 shirt minimum and not all shirts will not be allowed. I had one parent who brought ribbed white tanks that are undershirts, told her no way could these be included. Usually people hear $20 per shirt and rethink wanting the quilt and that is fine with me but if I am going to do it I am going to get paid for the pain of it.