Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Charge to Make a Queen Quilt >

Charge to Make a Queen Quilt

Charge to Make a Queen Quilt

Old 05-09-2014, 09:00 AM

IMHO $8.00 is way way too little for the expertise you have to offer. Even a beginner should charge more than that I would think.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:03 AM

It depends on what you think is fair for you making it, how good of a friend this friend is, and how much you like making this quilt-I spent 32 hours making a King size for my son-in-law and charged him $300.00-this was fair to both of us, we negotiated the price at the first-he supplied all shirts and material/thread-he thought it was fair and so did I in fact he gave me the price-I said okay-think before you quote, not after when you are done, and see how much You put into it
Old 05-09-2014, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
No one could pay me enough to make a T-Shirt quilt.

I am with you!!
sandt
Old 05-09-2014, 10:44 AM

I charge $25.00 per shirt..this includes all labor,stabilizer, quilting, batting, fabric for sashing,backing and binding.
You will make $ and not feel like you are only making pennies.T shirt quilts are labor intense and you are worth every $.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by PlanoDebbie View Post
When I make a t-shirt quilt on commission I charge $320.00. That includes the backing fabric, batting, stabilizer for shirts, border fabrics and binding. My finished quilts are usually about 65" wide and about 75" long.

I would much rather donate my time to make a charity quilt than work for only $8.00 per hour. As everyone on this board knows, quilting is a skilled art. If quilting was so easy, nobody would need to hire a quilter. Don't sell yourself cheap.
I agree with this 100%
Old 05-09-2014, 12:01 PM

[QUOTE=stillclock;6708202]no. $8 is less than minimum wage here. your time allocations are really slim, unless you are a lot faster than most.

value your work as you hope others will value the finished product. double your price (at the very, very least), and then see if the person still wants it done. if it's something you really *want* to do, then charge whatever you want.

but don't underestimate the value of your skills, the quality of your work, or the worth of the final product. this is custom work, and for $112 you couldn't even get a throw cushion made in most upholstery shops. and if the person says no thanks, please please please don't take it personally. if they truly cannot afford it, then negotiate. if they think it's not worth it, i'm sure you have other projects you could be working on. because you are worth all of that and infinitely more.

I agree completely! You are way underestimating your time! Double it! And charge more! If someone REALLY wants me to make something ( and if this is in any way a gift, this rule may not apply), I don't do it for less than $20/hr. considering I have skills I have honed over years ( and what I have to pay a plumber and mechanic with equally valuable skills!). If they just want someone to throw a bunch of tee shirts together, maybe $8 is not a bad price, but if they want quality and design, they should pay you for your expertise!
Old 05-09-2014, 01:28 PM

My friends son asked a woman here in Australia how much to make him a T Shirt quilt and she said around $1000AU
I ended up making it for him because I knew how much he wanted it , no charge. It took me at least 35 hours as I did qayg plus I then had to join each square up separately. I have made 3 of them and they all took around the 35 hour mark. Your charge to this person should probably reflect how close you are or if it us just a plain business transaction.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:58 PM

I wouldn't make a T-shirt quilt either, LOL!! I did put together some vintage blocks for a guy from his grandmothers stuff. I provided the batting and backing, added borders to some of the blocks to make them all the same size, quilted and bound it. He paid $300, and it wasn't a queen size, it was more like a twin. Your time is more valuable than $8/hr. I used to charge $12/hr for simple projects like making pillows and such, and that was a few years ago.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:38 PM

I have made a T-Shirt top (lap size) and I agree that $8/hr is not enough. I agree that $12/hr is more likely and you have not allotted yourself enough time, especially for a Queen size. T-shirts can be finicky to work with.

I took a class to learn how to make one and it basically took the 6 hours just to figure out how to cut them and then actually cut out the 12 T-Shirts.

Last edited by caspharm; 05-09-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:20 PM

Thanks for the great idea about the clock set up you have homebody, I keep telling myself I'm going to write down the time I spend make a quilt (which is a lot being a beginner) but always forget, but having a clock on my table will definitely remind me to flip the switch!