Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Charge to Make a Queen Quilt >

Charge to Make a Queen Quilt

Charge to Make a Queen Quilt

Old 05-08-2014, 12:48 AM
Power Poster

since you stated you have never made one before- maybe before agreeing to this you should make yourself one- even a smaller-throw size one- so you 'learn the process' and see just what it does take- then you would have a better idea how long it would actually take and the difficulty level- you say its a 'simple big block quilt' but ... a t-shirt quilt is a whole different 'animal' than a regular cotton big block quilt! you may find you do not like working with t-shirt fabric, that it is a much bigger *pain* than you anticipated...(or of course you may find you love it & want to make lots of them) either way you will be basing your decisions on knowledge. $8 an hour is not reasonable- it is not even minimum wage- and you really need to value your time if you are going to start making quilts for sale. doubling that amount would not be unreasonable..... but make at least a big pillow- something with a few t-shirts before committing to this project.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:59 AM

I made a T shirt quilt for a lady who contacted me locally. I told her $300 and she more than agreed. I provided everything but the T shirts. It was a royal pain. About half of them were actually jerseys made out of that shiny stuff with the holes in it. I machine quilted it. It was so heavy and hard to get under the machine that my husband had to stand behind my sewing table and hold the quilt as it passed through to keep it from falling on the floor and knocking my machine over. I used a low thread count cotton sheet for the back. She was thrilled with the results and told me she probably would have me make another for her other son. I hope she never calls back.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:54 AM

I have made several of these and for a queen size my cost has been $350.00. There is a lot of work involved as well as supplies and materials and then time. I have never had any problem getting the price, Don't under estimate our talents are worth the price we charge.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:22 AM

I recommend this method, no stabilizer... less time and expenses. I think you need to charge at least $20 an hour. You are skilled labor.
http://www.amazon.com/How-Make-Cool-...ol+tshirt+book

http://www.toocooltshirtquilts.com/
Old 05-08-2014, 04:39 AM

PlanoDebbie, has the right answer for you. At one point, I considered making T-shirt quilts and went through everything you have discussed. I take an electric (non digital) clock and put it on a power strip with rocker switch, that way I can flip the switch off if I get a call, take a break or whatever. When I goback to work work I turn it back on. Oh yes, start it at 12. At the end of the day, I write down my hours. $300-$350 is the fair price. I have learned to supply the fabrics etc based on their color request unless they are good sewers and know quality. You will not be happy if your customers bring you stretch denim (I had that happen from a long term quilting customer who did beautiful work). She is getting older and didn't remember about stretch just bought what she thought was denim cause she liked the color. Most of the time, because I'm a longarmer, I just offer support while they piece the quilt. If they are determined I do it - the fee is $15 an hour + supplies. I tell them right at the beginning I don't think they realize how long a quilt takes or how much it costs for supplies and it would be better for them to do the sewing.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:40 AM

I agree,.....make one first . I would not attempt one of these for less that $300.00 labor. $112.00? Nope!

frankly, i never want to make a t-shirt quilt. Refer her to someone who specializes in them.

My 2 cents.
sandy
Old 05-08-2014, 08:41 AM
Power Poster

I was reviewing an invoice where I quilted a T-shirt quilt. It took me 1.5 hours to pin baste a queen size quilt so I would go more with 3.5 to 4 hrs to get the quilt ready and do the tying. I think you have underestimated the time to fuse, cut and attach the blocks together with the sashing. It is also going to take time to lay out the shirts once they are cut. I don't think you can do it for under 20 hours. Be sure that this friend of a friend knows just how heavy these quilts can be when completed. I would suggest that you tell her your estimate is for $200.00 and if you find you can do it in less time, than pass on the savings onto your customers. Help her find the sales so she can also save on fabric and thread cost. I bought my thread at wholesale prices and I passed the savings to my customers

As for labor cost, charge what YOU feel comfortable in doing. Some of us really DO NEED the extra money in these tough economic times. I am going to be selling Mug Rugs this weekend with most of them for $8.00 when it takes me almost hour to do the hand stitching. I value my work but I need the money to be able to take my Bernina in for the long overdue servicing that it deserves. Good Luck
Old 05-08-2014, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

My guild makes tee shirt quilts for pay. We charge $15 a block for a finished quilt. All the person has to do is provide the tee shirts. We have a waiting list.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:54 PM

Definitely don't undercharge. I did that with another craft I used to do and pretty soon everyone wanted one for my cheapie price.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:14 PM

I charge $250 for a queen size and $350 for a king.