Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: chart for sizing pinwheel blocks

I have searched here for a chart on what size squares to start with to make the fast pinwheel block to fit the size I need. Does that make sense? Does anyone know where to find it.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by quilter53
    I have searched here for a chart on what size squares to start with to make the fast pinwheel block to fit the size I need. Does that make sense? Does anyone know where to find it.
    Thanks.
    This is the site I used but I tested one with scraps before going on with it. I dont know how accurate they are.

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/sho...ight=pinwheels

If you are talking about when you sew around all four sides to yield 4 HST, then here is a chart that I hope helps you:

http://www.moonlightquilters.org/tipHSTfav.htm

Forgot to say that this table shows you the size of the actual HSTs to make the pinwheel blocks, so you still need to factor the seam you loose when you put these together. So for example, if you are piecing 4 2'' HST to make a pinwheel, your pinwheel size would be 3.5'' I believe.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by candi
    If you are talking about when you sew around all four sides to yield 4 HST, then here is a chart that I hope helps you:

http://www.moonlightquilters.org/tipHSTfav.htm

Forgot to say that this table shows you the size of the actual HSTs to make the pinwheel blocks, so you still need to factor the seam you loose when you put these together. So for example, if you are piecing 4 2'' HST to make a pinwheel, your pinwheel size would be 3.5'' I believe.

Hope this is helpful to you.
    What a great site! Thank you for the link.

Ok. Thank you I will have to really think about this one. lol I have been doing trial and error to get the size I need. It needs to be 6 3/4 " finished pinwheel block. Odd size, I know. Thru trial and error I have come up with these meas.
    Starting squares need to be 5 3/8"
    The starting squares are 1 3/8 smaller than the finished pinwheel block. Whew!
    I don't know if that goes for every size. I don't think so but that's another day.

I saw this on one of my other groups and I Love it. You layer 2 squares facing. Sew 1/4 inch around all four sides then cut each way from corner to corner cutting into 4 pieces. When you press them open - all seams to the darker side, you just lay them out ready to sew together. All pieces are the same size. The same lady posted a chart of sizes for different squares. Remember that these measurements are for the 4 square you get - NOT the finished pinwheel.
    2" squares = 1" HST
    2 1/2" = 1 1/2
    3 1/2 " = 2"
    4" - 2 1/2
    5" = 3 1/2
    6" = 4
    7" = 4 1/2
    8" = 5"
    8 1/2 = 5 1/2
    9" - 6
    10" - 7
    I did find it easier to trim all my corners after I pressed when I was making small size for a 3" finished pinwheel.

BMP
    Blog Entries
    thanks