Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Child Size Jamone Continually Coming Unthreaded >

Child Size Jamone Continually Coming Unthreaded

Child Size Jamone Continually Coming Unthreaded

Old 03-11-2017, 06:54 AM

Default Child Size Jamone Continually Coming Unthreaded

I bought my 7 year old granddaughter a turquoise Janome for Christmas and she has started making her first quilt (a rag quilt). The machine is constantly coming unthreaded. I make sure the thread is cut long. I've adjusted the tension. Does anyone else have a suggestion? I don't want her to get discouraged. Thank you!
Old 03-11-2017, 07:03 AM

Some brainstorming --- Can you show her how to chain piece and only cut the thread at the end of a whole bunch of seams?

Is the thread getting caught anywhere on the fabric as she puts it under the presser foot?

Is there an auto cutter? Or even a manual one on the side of the machine? Are you using that or scissors? That usually requires a longer tail than scissors.

I have an Elna (same manufacturer) and DD has a Janome Gem and for us it is just usually that the thread tail wasn't long enough.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:17 AM
Banned

Two most likely culprits; not threaded correctly, or thread hanging/sticking on the spool. Check to make sure its unwinding smoothly.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:19 AM

When is it coming unthreaded? Is she holding the thread tails when she starts sewing? That is something that a lot of new sewers don't realize they need to do.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:26 AM
Power Poster

One of my machines likes to unthread itself. I am training myself to use a leader and ender.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

I bought my grand the Hello Kitty 3/4 machine at age 8 and she is still using it and she's 19 now. I was told at the dealer that the 1/2 size is considered a toy machine and the dealer would not service it at all. As far as the machine coming unthreaded that would be frustrating for anyone. I assume you have sewn on it yourself to try to figure it out.

Does it come unthreaded while sewing or starting sewing or end of sewing?
Old 03-11-2017, 11:40 AM

Don't know if this applies to this machine but on the old treadle machines I have used, if the take up lever (the one that moves up and down as you stitch) isn't in the highest position when you cut the thread, it can pull the thread out of the needle. Solution is leaving a longer thread tail (for some machines it needs to be pretty long) or always make sure to raise that take up lever before you cut the thread.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
One of my machines likes to unthread itself. I am training myself to use a leader and ender.
If she uses a leader & ender she would be making 2 quilts at the same time....BONUS!
Old 03-13-2017, 04:42 AM

Thank you for all the replies! She is here today and we are going to tackle this problem with your solutions. Hopefully holding the thread tails will solve the problem. It's been awhile since she has sewn on it, but I'm pretty sure it's coming unthreaded at the beginning of her piece. So holding the threads should solve it. It's just a good practice to teach her. I'm a new learner myself, so I'm just a couple of steps ahead of her. lol She's excited and that's all that matters to me! So am I! I'm new to this forum and I appreciate all of your replies! I'll let you know after she tries again.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:00 AM

At the end of the seam, when she cuts the threads, Pull the piece out but do not cut the threads while you have tension on the threads. Pull it out then bring the piece back to relax the attached threads then clip.